I love to read lists. I adore it, in fact and the end of a year always brings many a good list to savor.
But I don’t particularly like making lists. That is because I always, and I mean always, forget something. Inevitably as soon as I finish a list and look it over proudly, I realize I forgot the most important thing, so I start over, and over… It takes me ages to finally be happy with what I come up with.
But I was asked to participate in a lovely collaboration of four blogs – Persolaise, Eyeliner on a Cat, Fragrant Moments and yours truly – to publish a Best of the Year list and I gladly accepted. I love to read lists after all, so I might as well contribute my own, as hard as it might be.
Note: These are my personal discoveries of the past year, not necessarily perfumes that have been released in 2011.
1. Mona Di Orio Oud THE oud! Amazingly beautiful duet of osmanthus and oud. Powerful and evocative, wild and soft.
2. Aftelier Cepes&Tuberose Touches me deeply. Not for every day, but the best things are enjoyed in small doses.
3. Mona di Orio Oiro Brings memories of golden moments frozen in time, to be cherished forever.
4. Dior New Look 1947 Smells like me, says Dee. Who am I to argue?
5. By Kilian Back To Black Honey revelation, love at second sniff. My gateway drug to falling for almost the entire Kilian collection.
6. Chanel 31 Rue Cambon Elegance and sophistication in a bottle. My aspirational scent for the Lady in me.
7. Bottega Veneta Elegance and refined beauty goes mainstream. Proves that it can be done. Yippie!
8. Sonoma Scent Studio To Dream Violet and rose on oak. Perfection. We live to dream.
9. Vero Profumo Onda My suit of armour. A source of strength. Not every day is easy, Onda absorbs the worst blows.
10. Parfums MDCI Enlèvement au Serail A classic chypre, a true beauty, a ray of hope for the future of perfume.
Special mention: Guerlain Angelique Noire, a very recent discovery, but it totally captured my heart. Review will be up soon (ish).
Of course now Iwant to know your Top Ten! Which perfumes made you swoon, which tugged at your heartstrings this past year?
And finally, please take a look at the Best of lists of my fellow bloggers: