Monday Question – What Is Your Favorite New Release This Fall?

Which perfume have you anticipated the most?

Did it fulfill your expectations?

Have you been disappointed?

What upcoming perfume launch interests you the most?

I was looking forward the most to Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial and Chanel N°19 Poudré, both did not deliver what I expected.

I did not expect anything from Bottega Veneta, but it turned out to be a lovely addition to my collection, I’m smitten. Prada Candy (review upcoming) is also nice, lovely for fall and thankfully misnamed.

I had hoped to love Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Chèrie par Camille, and while the jury is still out, it does not look good unfortunately.

The three new Tom Fords are fine and will be reviewed soon, Balenciaga L’Essence is really nice, Love, Chloé Eau Intense is really and I mean really, boring.

I am very much looking forward to the newest Hermès release, Santal Massoia, the tenth of the Hermessences.

Watch for this afternoon’s post of mini-reviews of recent fall department store releases!

For now I am curious to hear about your new fall faves!

This entry was posted in Monday Question and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Monday Question – What Is Your Favorite New Release This Fall?

All three Tom Ford’s releases were nice. I enjoy wearing Violet Blonde more and more with each next wear.

I’m extremely disappointed by Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille. Not because I think it’s bad but because I absolutely cannot wear it: it makes me nauseous. I had a similar reaction to AG’s Mimosa – another new perfume I looked forward to and wanted to love.

I look forward to trying Thierry Mugler’s new goumand twist perfumes.

2. andrea says:

I was at first disappointed with the Tom Ford Violet Blonde as I did not get the big violet hit I was expecting, I tried it again this weekend and lo and behold, on my skin, there it was though it was more green than the purple I expected, it still warranted a small bottle buy (Is it just me or is the dry down like a cowards version of Amaranthine at least for a short while, which suits me just fine as the Amaranthine was just a bit bold for me)
    I was disappointed with the other 2 Tom Fords (which was a good thing with the much larger price tag) The drydown of the Santal Blush smelt like curry to me (not a smell I would go for) and the jasmin rouge was just ok to me.
    Anyway I digress, I also loved and bought Prada Candy although I had walked past it several times, put off with the ridiculous packaging and name.
    I also loved the Bottega Veneta which was a huge surpise to me, that is also full bottle worthy (In a few weeks time anyway)
    I looked at buying the Shalimar Initial for my daughters 1st proper perfume but she hated it (she is 11 years old) I was also not a fan and much prefer the original. (Her final choice, incidentally was Insolonce) 🙂

That seems to have been a good weekend for you! I want Violet Blonde as well… we’ll see.
      It is lovely that you went to buy the first perfume with your daughter. She’ll cherish that memory later in life, I’m sure.

• andrea says:

Either that or be a perfume hater with having all these different perfumes constantly put under their noses, I use both of my children as barometers for all my testers, being young they always give honest answers, my son who is 12 is getting to be a bit of a connoisseur, not sure if that is a good thing. LOL.

As I’m late with smelling fall releases, I can say I like Initial enough to want it and my stand on Poudre is widely known (at least I think so – I do believe I was quite vocal about not liking it).
    I have high hopes for BV and I like Candy but would consider buying more because of the bottle than the juice.
    AG is line that doesn’t work for me so no anticipation there (I’m pretty sure I won’t like it). But Tom Fords are always interesting so among those I might find something to love.
    I do wonder though what Jersey smells like…

I liked the sound of Jersey too at first, until I read a few review, which killed my interest in about ten seconds. I’m not going to pay Chanel prices for laundry musk. But I’ll take a small sniff, just to make sure. 😉

Please let me know what you think of BV once you try it… I’m so curious, how you like it.

4. I was very much looking forward to Mon Parfum Cheri, and I must say the first five minutes or so are excellent; unfortunately, the dray-down on my skin is pure dusty wood shavings… disappointing.
    Prada Candy didn’t do it for me either: if I’m going to have notes of caramel, then I’ll go all out and take l’Artisan’s Vanilia anytime. This “ethereal gourmand” falls flat on its pretty nose.
    Bottega Veneta felt nice for the first two minutes or so and then it just vanished…
    However, I was deliciously surprised by the Taste of Fragrance variations at Mugler. As much as Womanity destroyed my sinuses with one drop, this flanker is great and highly surpasses the original in my opinion. I really liked the pepper twist on A*Men, too. I have to give the new cacao powder note in Angel a second chance, I found it rather tame the first time round; and also be brave and try Alien au Beurre Sale on skin, and see if the salty-milky notes materialise.

Great question, B!

“Chloé Eau Intense is really and I mean really, boring.” LOL!

Candy and Shalimar Parfum initial weren’t bad but weren’t for me and No 19 Poudre just vanished.
    Love Bottega Veneta too though – really stylish and fantastic for a mainstream release. I was also looking forward to Jersey thinking it would be warm and cosy but it sounds a lot more like cotton. Not very inspiring.

6. Sandra says:

Fun question on such a rainy day. I really am enjoying Sweet Redemption. Just picked up Myrrhiad and am eyeing Candy. Naturally I am very much looking forward to the new Hermessence. Sadly Bottega Veneta did not work on me. Chanel No. 19 Poudre has not been received that well and I lost all interest in trying it.

7. Aaron says:

Hi Birgit

I’m afraid I liked the first two mentioned in your post! There were quite a few great releases this Summer/Autumn, which I’d rank as follows:

1. Shalimar Parfum Initial
    2. Alien La Gout de Parfum
    3. Angel La Gout de Parfum
    4. Tom Ford – Jasmin Rouge
    5. Tom Ford – Violet Blonde
    6. Diesel – Loverdose
    7. Prada – Candy
    8. No.19 Poudre (need some more time with this one)

8. vanessa says:

Not quite sure of the timing on some of these, but will take my cue from the comments above and say that thumbs up go to Sweet Redemption (thank you for that!), Candy and No 19 Poudre, also L’Essence. I am very hopeful of BV, and thanks to Andrea’s forbearance I won that Ebay auction of 12 samples and will be able to try it imminently. Oh and for the record, AG Mimosa was also ghastly on me – a total mishmash of discordant notes.

Great that you won the auction, 12 samples is quite a good testing stash. 🙂
      I didn’t think Mimosa would be what I’d like (and I was quite right there) but I had such hopes for Mon Parfum Cherie, I thought it would be a really great old-fashioned chypre…

I’m still looking forward to trying 19 Poudre, even if it will ultimately be a disappointment 🙂
    Also looking forward to sniffing:
    Bottega Veneta, Jersey (though I’m well-covered in that department, what with laundering my clothes regularly), the new Mugler series—especially Alien!, and I still have not tried the Uncle Serge carnation creation (not gonna try and spell it!).

Prada Candy is a hit, and I’ve been wearing it frequently as an in-between scent; it doesn’t last long on my skin, so sometimes I’ll spray it before I really decide what to wear for the day, or in the afternoon, between SOTD and post-workout SOTE 🙂

10. Eva S says:

I really look forward to trying the new Hermenessence, from the description it sounds just my thing! I also want to try Miriam, Andy Tauers newest perfume.

11. Sybarite says:

I totally agree with you on Hermessence “Santal Massoia”. I too am most looking forward to it. First because I love sandalwood, (especially one who’s apparently going to try mimic a Mysore character). And secondly because I’ve always loved the coconutty-woodiness of my massoia essential oil, and have always wondered why it has mostly been ignored by perfumers. I therefore have high hopes for this one, and hope I will not be disappointed. (Also hope it will not be too transparent and rather more like one of the more substantial Hermessences ;o)

One other surprise release that I’m really looking forward to, because it has a wonderfully exciting set of notes. Following a theme I’m mostly terribly jealous about as it’s one I’ve personally been wanting to do with my own amateur perfume blending experiments. It’s a perfume that is nocturnally inspired, and amongst other “dark” notes, using floral notes of flowers that only bloom at night. (Of course they have the advantage I’ve not had, of being able to use the easier synthetic variants of these flowers, most of which are not available to the natural perfumer. Which is why I’ve so far had a problem realising my “night-blooming-perfume”).
    Anyway, the perfume I’m talking about is : FREAK , by Illamasqua. Which apart from the wonderful theme, also has a wonderfully “freaky” unusual, yet totally gorgeous, bottle.
    (Luv the wonderfully funky name too !)

Just look at the list of notes, and tell me it doesn’t sound utterly delicious ! :
    TOP NOTES
    Black Davana, Opium Flower , Belladona
    HEART NOTES
    Poison Hemlock, Datura , Queen of the Night Blossom
    BASE NOTES
    Frankincene(s), Oud and Myrrh

(Yes I know , yet another bloody Oud. (*rolls eyes*) But at least it’s not the prominent note !)

I’m totally with you, Sybarite! I look very much forward to try Freak as well. I love that bottle and I’m really curious about this dark and slightly poisonous sounding perfume.

I think the new Hermes will be very light and transparent, that is just what he does, but we will see soon…:)

• Sybarite says:

You know, one which was not actually as lovely as I’d hoped, (at least to wear myself), Is Prada’s Candy. Even though I really appreciated it’s not as sweet as I had expected. And seems really lovely on first spraying, and even more so as the drydown enrichens (though the “caramel” note is not quite as “roasted creme brulee” as I’d hoped). I’m afraid however that it develops a strange phase in the middle which spoils it for me. From lack of a better way to describe it, it smells to me just like cheap hairspray. (I’m presuming it’s due to some or other musk note I obviously dislike). In fact I have smelled this exact note or accord in other perfumes and have been dying to find out exactly what it is so I can avoid it in future. ~ I thought it most inappropriate and “cheap smelling” for a Prada fume. …
        ~ Oh well, many other “frag’s in the sea”. :o)

I felt a bit let down by Candy as well, although my problem with it is that it is a bit sheer and lacks impact, but aside from that it is very cozy and lovely to me.
          Maybe it is the smokiness of benzoin that bothers you, I have heard that note likened to hairspray many times…