Monday Question – What Is Your Favorite Rose Perfume?

A rose is a rose is a rose – not so, when it comes to perfumes. Thousands of different roses are out there, and I am just coming to appreciate them.

Do you like roses in a perfume?

What do you associate with rose scents?

Which one is your favorite?

Or do you say no thank you when it comes to the Queen of Flowers?

I only recently have started to smell the roses. Dark and spicy, deep and mysterious roses – those I have always liked. My favorites are Amouage Lyric and Epic, Neela Vermeire’s Mohur, Kilian Rose Oud and Dior Ambre Nuit.

The only lighter roses I know are Parfumerie Générale Brulure de Rose and Guerlain Rose Barbare, both sweet, gourmand roses.

Rose-violet combination are very nice too, but not what I am looking for right now (although a day spent with Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose or Sonoma Scent Studio Lieu de Reves is always a good day.)

I am exploring rose as a note in a wider context now though, and a good place to start is a line dedicated to rose in all its incarnations – Les Parfums de Rosine. I ordered the sample set from their website, so look out for a few reviews over the summer.

The one rose that got me going on this rose trip is one I have not yet smelled, but I highly anticipate it and expect a lot from it: Mona di Orio’s soon to be released Rose Etoile de Hollande. Can’t wait!

What about your relationship with roses?

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Monday Question, Rose and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

96 Responses to Monday Question – What Is Your Favorite Rose Perfume?

1. I am loving roses B. My favourite currently is SIOVOHLE’s (said like see-vo) Rosa sur Reuse. A delicious Rose and Tuberose blend that sparkles darkly.
    Portia xx

2. Charles says:

A rose note can be difficult for me, maybe it is just my skin or mental orientations, I tend to associate a rose scent as ultra femine but with that said, I have loved since a young man Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme.It definately has a rose note in the dry down, but it comes in strong and not very femine. Thanks for another “Thought provoking Monday question”!

You are right, rose is often associated with femininity, so it can be hard to get over that notion. Thankfully there are so many great masculine roses out there as well, especially when the rose is combined with woody notes.

I’m sure that there is a rose perfume out there for everybody, one only has to find the right one. My first roses were Montale’s White oud, and then Ta’if (Ormond J.). The last one is the “famous” Oudh Ispahan (Dior’s Collection Privee)… 🙂

4. What a beautiful question for a Monday morning! We’re currently in love with the new Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud Cologne Intense… best enjoyed on a rooftop under a Marrakech midnight sky http://thebeautyshortlist.com/2012/06/17/jo-malone-velvet-rose-oud-new/

5. lulllull says:

I love roses! It is my favorite note with patchouli, cardamom and sandalwood comming in close second. Stella is a wonderful rose with its sweet musky base. I also enjoy MFK lumiere noir pour femme. I get a sweet tobacco note from that with rose, patchouly and a sligth hint of cummin. The rose smells like a deep pink climbing rose to me. I adore it.
    Lady vengeance is a great rose, also FM un rose and guerlains rose barbare that you mentioned. I seem to love Francis Kurkdjian dont I?
    Im looking forward to your Rosin reviews and also the new Mona. Cant wait for that one!!

6. andreawilko says:

I was scarred for a long time after the SA in Jo Malone sprayed me with Red Roses which smelt exactly like my first perfume creation when I was a child when I mixed rose petals with water and left it to mash (go mouldy) Apologies in advance for anyone who likes Red Roses.

Since then I have gone on to aquire Amber Nuit, and Rose Nacree both of which I enjoy when I am in the right mood, I am hoping to aquire Ta’if and Lipstick Rose very soon 😉 both of which have been on my want list for a long time, I also enjoy my sample of Lyric but can’t see me buying a FB any time soon.

I am however ordering a bottle of the MdO Rose when it comes out, no doubt I will be doing a split, I am still undecided on the Oud Ispahan.:-(

I’m glad the JM experience hasn’t scarred you for life!
      Did you already smell Oud Ispahan?

• andrea says:

You should know me better than that :-), I am contemplating a blind buy although I have conflicting views on this one, you did not think it would be me (can’t think of one single time you have been wrong) another friend liked the opening but thought the dry down was a bit animalic, Lady Jane Grey really liked it and said there was a lot of roses in it so who knows???

Lady Jane Grey also wears Le Labo Oud 27 in style and grace… on her nothing dares to smell bad.
          I find it too animalic for me, although I would have loved to have that one. 😦
          It is the sister of Leather Oud after all.

I’m definitely not choosing one. 🙂
    Here are mine in no particular order: Lyric, Eau Egyptienne and Paestum Rose. I’m also having high hopes for the new MdO.

8. I just sampled Kilian’s Rose Oud over the weekend. I’m sold and need to get a FB…I just wish the price was more friendly!

9. Stefan says:

Love Rose31 by LeLabo…. Very male, very lasting, very seductive!

What I also like is L’Artisan’s “voleur de Rosés” – a more classy One….

10. IsabelleMi says:

OJ Ta’if has been my favourite rose perfume for some years. Now I just can’t wait for Mona’s Rose Etoile de Hollande ❤

11. masha7 says:

My new favorite rose is the chypre’ Ballets Rouges from Olympic Orchids. It has real oak moss, which I love. I also adore Amouage Lyric. I find Perles de Lalique and Rosine’s Zeste de Rose eminently wearable as well. Can’t wait to try the new Mona di Orio.

Oooh, I love dark rose perfumes but like you, Brulure de Rose would be my choice for a lighter version. Roses can be so deep, romantic, beautiful and womanly.

Rose Oud is at the top of the heap for me but closely followed by Portrait of a Lady and my new love, Amouage’s Epic. Have you ever tried Uncle Serge’s Rose de Nuit? I’m curious about that one but doubtful about the honey.

Looking forward to your views on the Rosines and the new Mona di Orio. Exciting rose scented times ahead!

Rosy times have come indeed. 🙂
      I didn’t try Rose de Nuit yet, since it is harder to find.

Glad you love Epic so much, I believe it was my very first rose.

13. Amy says:

Normally my first response would be Lyric or Ta’if. Until last week when I finally tried Portrait of a Lady. Oh dear – methinks a full bottle is on the horizon for the Malle. I very much like Rose Oud, but for the longevity I can’t justify the price!
    For what it’s worth, I had a similar experience with Jo Malone Red Roses. It was the only one of the line I could not abide.
    Here’s to a rosy Monday!

14. hemlocksillage says:

Oooh, love roses! Completely agree with so many here who’ve mentioned Lyric Woman, gorgeous jammy dark rose. I also adore Amouage’s Homage attar, for its lemony, bright incense rose. Another favorite is Agent Provocateur’s Diamond Dust, which softens the original somehow; it’s a mossy rose chypre that I wear often, and on last wearing had two spontaneous compliments.

With you, I’m looking forward to the Mona di Orio rose scent. I’ll certainly sample first–many rose fragrances turn very sour on me after their opening. It seems unpredictable, but when it happens, I run for the sink, baby wipes, whatever’ll get it off me. Ah, the fun of perfume sampling 😀 Be well.

AP Diamond Dust – I really like the idea of a softer signature AP. Is it still available and do you think the glitter part is very obvious?

• hemlocksillage says:

I just checked online, and called a boutique. The Diamond Dust was a limited edition. Sorry! My first was a 5mL decant from TPC, then I bought a FB. I’m mowing through it fairly quickly, which is an indicator of how much I love it. There is a touch of glitter, which I’m not crazy about, but it’s not loud, and it’s finely milled. Hope you get to try it! I’d happily send you a sample, but my post office is HARSH about overseas liquids 😦
        Another lovely, herbal rose on my wish list is Eau Suave by Parfum d’Empire. It’s a soft, mossy, herbal, saffron tinged rose. Very garden like.

15. lulllull says:

Liaisons dangereuses is a wonderful musky rose with jammy plums. Great for summer evenings.

16. Une Rose Vermeille hands down. Which is why the fact that I am deathly allergic to it is so upsetting 😦

17. Lynne says:

In addition to the lovely aforementioned rose fragrances (love all of them),,,I am enjoying Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare. I ordered Rose Kashmirie from Rosine, after loving a sample I received!!

I love too many rose scents to count but top faves are Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie, Malle Lipstick Rose and Portrait of a Lady, Amouage Epic and Ubar (even though Ubar is not focused on rose, nonetheless, a very gorgeous rose note comes through), and Neela Vermeire Mohur. I also like the rose note in Chanel Egoiste.

19. Tatiana says:

I used to think rose scents turned sour on my skin. I can’t tell you how many times I would try a rose fragrance and 30 minutes later I’d be running to scrub it off because it smelled like the water a bouquet of roses had been sitting in for over a week, unchanged. Eww!
    Then I tried Portrait of A Lady. I love Portrait! Hands down, no questions asked. It is my favorite cold weather rose fragrance. It lasts over a day on my skin and weeks on my clothes.
    Other roses I love to wear, Le Labo Rose 31, Amouage Lyric and Killian Rose Oud. Sigh, all of which are pretty pricey, so I’ve been settling for samples and decants on these, til I can save up for a FB.
    I want to Ambre Nuit, but I fear our weather has become too oppressively hot to try that one out.

PoaL is very beautiful, unfortunately I get a massive headache every time I try it. 😦
      It was 34 degrees Celsius here today and one spritz of Ambre Nuit was wonderful even in the heat.

• Tatiana says:

Saturday it was 37 degrees Celsius here. In the shade. I spent the day at my daughter’s horse show, and she wondered why her horse didn’t want to go fast? I wore Chanel Cristalle. So I will admit 34 is rather warm too. I just think of sweet, warm fragrances as something I wear in the winter. When my sample of Ambre Nuit arrives from STC, I guess I will give it a try in this weather to see what I think. But just one spray! I don’t want to knock anyone out with my perfume. I already spend the day with workers who say, “I didn’t know you wore perfume. I’m allergic to perfume. You must not wear it on the days I’m around you.” Yeah, right. I wear perfume every day.

20. Amy G. says:

Has anyone tried Iroaz by Lostmarch? I tend to shy away from florals, but the description of this one on Lucky Scent makes me think it might be a less “perfumey” sort of rose- more of an outdoor smell.

You could be right about that. Iroaz is unfortunately the only Lostmarc’h I haven’t tried, but not for lack of wanting, I just never came across it yet.

21. Mrs. Scents says:

What a great question since rose is such a classic ingredient in the perfumer’s palette! But unfortunately, unlike I think everyone that has commented, I absolutely despise rose scents! Even if it is not one of the main notes in a fragrance I can pick it right out – I have a complete aversion to any variety of its scent!

22. Civava says:

Tauer’s Rose Chypree and Neela Vermeire Mohur, Un Folie de Rose from Les Parfums de Rosine.

23. Eva S says:

Rose is definitely a favorite, more the dark ones than the lipstick rose-violet varieties. Fortunately roses doesn’t seem to turn sour on my skin, or maybe I just don’t smell it!
    Here’s a list of favorites:
    Epic (no 1!)
    Mohur
    Portrait of a Lady
    Lumiere Noire pour femme
    Une Rose Chypree
    I have a sample of Une Rose that recently arrived in the mail, can’t wait to try it, would very much like to try Oud Ispahan and the new Guerlain as well, not to mention the new MdO!

24. Angie Cox says:

Une Rose ,bet you could guess !

I have many favorite roses in perfumes (I’m having a hard time selecting some reasonable number of those for my Single Note Exploration post on roses) but I can easily name the perfume I love the most – Ormonde Jayne’s Ta’if.

26. I always say, “Oh, rose? NOT my favorite note.” Yet right off the bat, I can name half a dozen roses I really like: Parfums de Nicolai Balkis (the exotic one), Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie (the romantic one), and Coty La Rose Jacqueminot (the artistic one), L’Artisan Brulure de Rose (the rebellious one), Yves Rocher Moment de Bonheur (the fresh-scrubbed one) and Christian Lacroix Tumulte (the obnoxious, tacky, really fun one). I’m going to have to stop pretending I don’t care for roses!

27. SonomaVelvets says:

I adore Roses. In June when the Rosa Rugosas are blooming I’ve often got a newly opened bloom on my person somehow, in my hair, in a button, pocket, wherever I can get away with. Without the real thing I love Epic for most interesting tale, and Velvet Rose for freshest most realistic, Tauer’s Une Rose Chypre when I want rose and yet a bigger story. I wear Ta’if when I’m craving rose and gourmand. I know it’s not officially a gourmand, but there’s a sense behind the rose to me that reads as slightly caramel, somehow, yet not sweet. It’s almost a synesthetic switch for me, I could be smelling the note and picturing ‘caramel’. Anyway Rose Ikebana is cool and mysterious for me, makes me think of a deep shaded pool on a hot day. Incense Rose seems to have made it’s way to the back of my bottles lately, not sure why. I don’t wear JM’s Red Roses but I do have a bottle, and find it’s a very interesting gateway for friends who are just beginning to express interest in perfume. A couple of mls in a travel spray and discussions can commence.

I totally see what you mean about Ta’if having a gourmand feel.

JM Red Roses is now intriguing me for its apparently very polarizing nature. Will try soon.

28. florence says:

Dear B, I’ve been scared by rose notes for a long time and, still now, it’s not easy for me. Like you, Portrait of a Lady creates a horrible headache…..I like dark and spicy roses such as Lady Vengeance by JHAG, Midnight Poison by Dior.
    And one of my 5 favorite perfumes became Brûlure de Rose by PG (which has no rose in fact but rosewood, raspberry musk…..). I love this one so much but it’s a “fake rose”.
    I can’t wait to sample Rose by MdO because I know how Mona was able to tell the story of a note with such an uncommon way. I’d like so much to try Ambre nuit, you talk so we about it.

29. Like you I’m intrigued by the prospect of Mona di Orio’s Rose Etoile de Hollande, but in the meantime I like Strange Invisible Perfume’s Black Rosette.

30. Kimberly says:

SSS’s Rose Musc, which is almost gourmand in it’s rich beauty, Idylle (I know it gets panned all the time, but I found it to be just what I was looking for when I found it. Honestly, out of all my bottles, this is probably one of about 4 that consistently garners the most compliments. And, unlike NR I can actually smell it.) I like Happ & Stahns Rose Alba for a great casual rose. I love Lyric, and wear it when the weather permits, but I never think of it as a rose perfume. I guess I think of it as more of a grand perfume beyond description.

Add me to the list of people eagerly awaiting MdO’s new rose!

31. My very favorite is Rossy de Palma. But I love so many roses! Une Rose Chypree and Incense Rose, L’Arte di Gucci, Rose Praline, SSS Vintage Rose, I could go on and on and on.

32. anatu13 says:

Ormonde Jayne Ta’if is my favorite. Olympic Orchids Ballets Rouges is also wonderful!

33. dremybluz says:

My two favorites are Jo Malone’s Vanilla and Rose Water Intense and Rosines Rose Flaminca which is a yellow rose and neroli fragrance.

34. Laurinha says:

Though I’m not too big on rose fragrances, I still have a soft spot for the likes of Parfum Sacre, Il Profumo’s Touareg, L’Artisan’s Voleur de Roses and Odori’s Zafferano, so I can safely say that there is no note I don’t like, just interpretations of the same I am less keen on smelling (unfortunately for my finances!)

35. malsnano86 says:

Another rose lover here… I love them in all guises, from light and fruity to powdery to dark to gourmand to chypre.

For light summery ones – the first (1999) Ines de la Fressange, PdR Rose d’Ete, DSH Rose Vert, AG Petite Cherie.
    For the powdery rose-violet ones – Tableau de Parfums Miriam, SSS Nostalgie, YSL Paris.
    For gourmand – Tauer Une Rose Vermeille, Soivohle Rosa sur Reuse (well, that one hovers between gourmand and oriental).
    For rose chypres – L’Arte di Gucci, PdE Eau Suave, Ungaro Diva, MFK Lumiere Noire pour femme.
    For dark – Amouage Lyric, Caron Parfum Sacre, BK Rose Oud.
    For “big armful of dewy red roses” – hands down, it’s SSS Velvet Rose.

36. Zubi d'Nova / Melissa de Blok says:

I seem to be missing these posts!

A lot of the Parfums de la Rosine – they are all so perfect for summer!
    Especially Secrets de Rose(*LICORICE* rose), Poussiere de Rose (perfectly blended!), Une Folie de Rose (dirty rose), Rose Praline (gourmand rose!)
    Villoresi: Donna
    Parfum d’Empire Eau Suave (find this similar, but better blended, than Donna)

Also, for a cheaper alternative to Amouage Lyric: Molyneux Quartz for men. You’re welcome! 😉

37. flittersniffer says:

Oh, ever since my Rose to Damascene moment :- ) I have been a big fan of the note. Faves include Brulure de Rose, Ta’if, Rose Kashmirie, Agent Provocateur L’Agent, Armani Rose Alexandrie. There were more, but I pruned my list…!

38. Janne Sund says:

I love the smell of roses!
    When I was a child I used to make “roseperfume” from rose petals and water 🙂
    My favorites are the ones that smells the closest to the real deal,a true and pure rose.
    For a fresh newly picked cool rose I go for either Un zest de rose by Rosine
    or Creeds Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare.
    And for a sunwarm radiating rose I love Zephir de Rose also by Rosine.

Can’t wait to hear what you think about the Rosine line 🙂

39. Pingback: Coming Up Roses – Review: Juliette Has A Gun Lady Vengeance | Olfactoria's Travels

40. Pingback: Monday Question – What Is Your Favorite Vanilla Perfume? | Olfactoria's Travels