Monday Question – Poll: How Many Perfumes Do You Own?

It is confession time, people!

This Monday Question includes a poll, so you (and I) don’t have to disclose an actual number in the comments, but can anonymously vote in the poll.

Of course you can still divulge, confess and elaborate in the comments (I hope you do!).

The Poll:

I won’t divulge the total number, because I don’t want to shock my immediate family members. And I include myself here.

I don’t know how many bottles I own actually and I refuse to count them, Some things better stay in a fog of uncertainty…

I can safely say I’m over ten bottles though. 😉

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Monday Question and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Monday Question – Poll: How Many Perfumes Do You Own?

1. behemot12 says:

Hm, I have a question. What really counts as a bottle???

2. Meredith says:

Assuming samples don’t count, 2, since I’m poor and have limited-funds inflicted self-control! If samples count, I dread to think… I can justify buying those. 😉

Which two are those?
      And which full bottles are on your wishlist, Meredith?

• Meredith says:

Both gifts – Dolce and Gabbana The One and Body Shop Japanese Cherry Blossom. Must admit I wouldn’t have bought either of them for myself but its the thought that counts!?

Wishlist is, er, getting a bit ridonkulous in length – about half of Ormonde Jayne’s output, Bvlgari Black, Ys Uzac Pohadka & Monodie, Prada Candy, Hermes Un Jardin sur le Toit & Kelly Caleche, Juliette Has A Gun Lady Vengeance and Vengeance Extreme, L’Artisan Parfumeur Vanille Absolument… I’m sure I’m forgetting loads! Got quite a few on my samples-wishlist too, but I haven’t tried them yet, obviously. 😉

I love your wishlist! You’ve got great taste!

Regarding the gifts, I hope you get something you really want next time! (Hinting is everything! 😉 )

I don’t know the exact number either. If I count the original bottles only (so no large decants included) I’m safe to say that I might be far over 10 and most probably below 30. Which is, in fact, not that bad – I mean, it’s not an excessively high number ! Sooo, this very weekend in London I’m allowed to increase it… 😉

4. The other day when you asked the question I was curious so I decided to count. On my tall boy there are 63 bottles 30ml+ and a few parfums. I couldn’t count the others because I’m too ashamed of my disgusting greed but there is a cupboard.
    Portia xx

I’m not devulging the number but I can say decidedly: not enough! 🙂 (and seeing even initial poll results just confirmed my determination to keep growing my collection)

Wow, that I don’t hear often… I wish I could say that too (but then I know the grass is always greener and so on) 🙂

• Undina says:

The grass is definitely greener: I saw (a part of) your collection! 😉

Now every time I think about buying a real bottle (not a decant) I ask myself: What would Birgit do? (Ok, I’m joking but, you know, there is some joke [sic] behind every joke.)

6. Tatiana says:

I can’t bear to count. I don’t really want to know the damage. I live in denial. But I am starting a bag where I’m putting those I want to swap or sell on evil bay. But no matter how many full bottles I have, there are more I want. Sigh.

I don’t know how many bottles exactly I own but last time I counted it was nearing 100. 😀 Then I decided to swap some away or give them away but also replenished those with some others…
    I don’t believe I’ve crossed the 100 mark yet (but that might also be just wishful thinking…) 😉

No matter how many bottles I sell, the numbers seem to stay constant… 🙂

Can’t wait to hear about Paris! (I hope what you did in Paris is not secret! 😉 )

8. I’m over the 100 mark. I have no self control 😦

9. ana says:

Hello B! I really don’t understand why should we be ashamed or embarrassed about how many perfume bottles we have. It’s just a hobby like all others.I wish I could have thousands to be honest in a room all of their own.Meanwhile because I’m only at the beginning I confess I have only 13 bottles.Here’s to many more and hopefully I’ll come back with something really nice from my trip to Barcelona .

That is true, I guess a lepidopterist is not ashamed of the number of butterflies he has. But non-perfume people are shaking their heads at us and that can be hard to ignore. 😦

Have fun in Barcelona and I hope you find some great perfumes there!

10. Elizabeth Watson says:

If we only count full bottles (30 ml or more), then I have about 40. But I have pretty much stopped buying full bottles because I don’t have room for too much more. And samples, minis & decants allow me to try a much greater variety without too much commitment of space or funds…

Decants save a lot of space and money. For me, a full bottle is a full bottle and can’t be replaced. I just don’t enjoy decants as much, although it would save me a lot. 😦

11. Nina says:

I thought I had a lot, but when I counted, I realized that I only have a modest 23. Guess I feel no guilt about buying a bottle last night!

12. flittersniffer says:

The total keeps changing every time I try to count it, but it is around the 70 mark. That includes the likes of Ajne ie 15ml and up but construed as full bottles, not decants. (For that money, you would jolly well hope so!)

13. arline says:

I have all of three full bottles, a few mini mini’s, and a ton of essential oils.

I plan to obtain more of course. but I really want to keep it to around 10 fantastic fragrances are me. I want to have some custom scents made, and I definitely would still love to make my own perfume.

I really enjoy hearing about all the perfumista collections, and I would LOVE so see some of them!!!!!!!! I am a visual as well as olfactory person. I candy does a lot for me.

14. My, oh my, I feel like a lightweight at 15 FB! Guess I need to do some shopping!!!

15. Amy Bella says:

Most of my full bottles are things that I rarely wear anymore – A few Demeter scents, Kiels, Hippie oil blends, gifts & impulse buys. I have around 25 bottles, but only 7 that I wear- L’Artisan L’eau de Ambre & Timbuktu, CDG Kyoto, SSS Champagne de Bois, 10 Corso Como, Shalimar & Philosykos. It’s been over a year since I’ve purchased a full bottle! (Excepting gifts for others) Why? Well, I find that buying larger decants of my favorites works out well for me. They’re portable… I like to reapply. It’s more cost effective. I can maintain a “collection” of 30 or 40 beloved perfumes, and still afford to sample whatever I wish. I miss out on the sensual pleasure of using a beautiful bottle, but that’s OK for now! (I’m only in my 2nd year of perfume obsession)

16. thegoddessrena says:

I’m somewhere in the 30s. I’m not giving an exact count because I won over 2 dozen bottles as a lot on ebay but I haven’t tested them all yet so I’m not sure how many I’ll actually be keeping. 3 definite keepers–very vintage White Shoulders, vintage Emeraude and Shiseido Inoui,1 loser- Avon Night Magic, 1 wearable but not a love-Forever Krystle. I also have a half dozen minis

17. Alexis says:

Okay I can admit this freely because I don’t have that many full bottles (well I’m still in early collecting stages) – I think I only have 6-7 full bottles. Decants and samples, on the other hand, is a whole other story!

18. hemlocksillage says:

I’ll confess, I’m one of the 100+ FB owners. I love my collection, and though it needs pruning, it’s difficult to let go of things that I loved at one time. I’ve been collecting for many years, so even 5 or 6 FB a year adds up over time.

Perfume is a passion, and I love reading about others’ experiences with things I’ve tried. I’ve never considered myself a collector, but over the past few years, perfume has become quite a hobby and a habit. With FB and samples, I can honestly say I could wear a different perfume every day, likely two (SOTD and SOTE), without repeating for a year. Not likely, but fragrantly possible. The more difficult thing would be perfume monogamy 😀 Be well.

19. fleurdelys says:

I have 43 bottles in the 30ml-and-up category (although some were partial bottles acquired through swaps). I also have 20 in the 7.5ml-or-less category (includes parfums, minis, and decants). And there are 4 that I have a yearning to buy! However, I’m trying to whittle down the collection a bit first.

20. Eva S says:

My FB number is between 20-30 and I expect it will grow somewhat, since there are several more on my to-buy-list. I just ordered the latest one yesterday- Azemour pour les orangers. I’m a bit annoyed it only comes in a 100 ml bottle. I’ve also ordered my first decant, but I really like the feel of a proper bottle…

21. caro says:

Around 100 bottles, including back-ups, but I want to get rid of some of them. I own no decants.

22. tara says:

Great poll, B! I come in at the 30 mark but ticked 30 to 60 becuase that’s the direction it’s going 🙂

23. behemot12 says:

So I am a bit over 30.. Not that bad.
    Cuir de Lancome will be my next bottle.

24. dremybluz says:

I have to confess that my collection sits around 140 full bottles. I have been trying to collect many of the old vintage perfumes that are no longer produced. As my tastes change for certain fragrances, they make their way to the back of the present most popular list. I have a few that I do not like, and these go into a drawer for future swaps. I do not think that there are ever enough bottles of perfume to have in ones collection. I have bottles of perfume that I truly love, but these don’t smell grand on me, so these go into their own separate section. I get to enjoy these beauties by spraying them on linens or using them as drawer fresheners. People have vast collections of jewelry, art, clothes,wine, books, shoes or even butterflies. So why can’t we have the same vast collection–but in bottled fragrances. I consider fragrances as my collection of art, so as long as the budget allows, my collection will continue to grow and be cherished.

25. Kimberly says:

Oh, dear. I just counted and found out that I have about 14 more than I thought I did. And I am about to order A Taste of Heaven, because I have a dire need for a soothing lavender, and will split it with my husband (that will only count as 1/2 of a bottle, right?) I checked the 30-60 box, and I am right in the middle. It is kind of a shock.

26. Oy vey. I have 61 full-sized bottles. And 59 manufacturer’s mini-bottles. I am not even going to attempt to count the purse sprays, decants and samples.

27. Catherine says:

I’m at 22 bottles that are 15ml or more which is actually not as bad as I thought! I did get rid of a few recently and three of the 22 are up for sale/swap. I mostly buy decants now though, since so many of the fragrances I love I can’t really manage to buy a full bottle of, though there are many I wish I could own!

28. I’m in the 10-30 category. The exact number is around twenty.

29. Natalie says:

You gave me the push needed to go count, even though I have been avoiding it for ages. Using Vanessa’s method of counting 15ml and up bottles if they were sold as full bottles, and not counting any of the many bottles on my “to sell or give away” shelf, I have 39. I actually thought it was worse than this, so I feel better!

30. Alexandra says:

I am not going to count either, but I know I have now broken my 30 bottle limit. Now I am going to try to never own more than 50! (I am also going home to hug my decant box as it totally doesn’t count!)