An Interesting Interview About Perfume

The Browser is an online magazine dedicated to writing. In their daily feature Five Books, interviews with different people of interest are discussed.

This week writer Denise Hamilton chooses five books about Perfume.

I found this to be an interesting article, even if the books are no big surprise for the hardened Perfumista, but the feeling of kinship, of “Look, she is just like me!” is always lovely to experience.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Fragrance Reviews and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to An Interesting Interview About Perfume

I really enjoyed the whole article B, many thanks for pointing it out. She is SO one of us! I also didn’t know (no doubt the only one!) that Andy Tauer was inspired to become a perfumer by Essence and Alchemy, so I learnt something too.

2. James Dennard says:

That was a good interview and there are now a few more books on perfumes on my to-read list. I have already read Turin’s book and Suskind’s novel, but not the others.

3. andrea says:

I have been using luca turins book as a bible recently,its on my phone so I can look perfumes up while in the store. Sadly I also compiled a list of perfumes I would like to smell as well as a list of perfumes I would like to own. I feel more and more normal every day when I read that there are lots of others out there just like me.

I got the Kindle version of Denise’s newest book, and have been reading it the past two days— I really like it! The story is good, if you like mystery/thriller types, but what’s been most fun is looking for the perfume references— I give a giant Squee! each time I find one (and there are plenty). 🙂

5. vanessa says:

I saw this the other day, but your post prompted me to take a closer look, and I am glad I did – I was not aware of that book by Ruth Rendell, for example, and I love a good thriller. Maybe Kathy Reichs (my current favourite) will feature perfume one day instead of just endless permutations of bones!

I am sure Basenotes and The Perfumed Court will be pleased they got a mention too. : – )

One of my favourite perfume books she didn’t include is The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr. I wish I hadn’t read it to give myself the pleasure of reading it again for the first time (as it were).

I love The Perfect Scent as well, I wish there were more such books. Denyse’s (Grain de Musc) book is already available for pre-order on Amazon, btw. I look forward to that.

6. anotherperfumeblog says:

I am looking forward to Denyse’s book as well. One thing I learned from this that I didn’t know: Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez are husband and wife?