Monday Question – How Did You Find Your Way Into Perfumeland?

How did you get addicted?

What drew you in?

What is your story of falling down the rabbit hole?

How did you discover the online perfume community?

Do you see yourself getting out of Perfumeland ever again?

I stumbled over the perfume community on the internet by accident, or luck rather.

I have been interested in perfume for a long time, but it was a very personal and intimate thing, I didn’t share it with anyone, I just thought that was my secret obsession and that is that.

Then, I had the good fortune (???) to win a bottle of Chanel Bleu at a local perfume store, which I promptly passed on to my poor husband (who likes it btw, deep sigh). However, I heard that the video advertisement for Bleu should be good, so I googled it. Boom! Here was Perfumeland!

I think the first blog that came up was Now Smell This, and I was mesmerized by the giant database available there, next up I discovered 1000Fragrances, and was properly awed and humbled by Octavian’s knowledge and likewise intrigued and a bit scared by his sarcasm and apparent unhappiness with the state of the (huitième) art.

But there was one blog that really should be credited for drawing me into Perfumeland (where I hope to remain for life!). I knew her blog for some time, I came across it on beauty related quests now and then, but I never read her perfume reviews, I don’t know why, but I didn’t really see them then. But now, triggered by Chanel Bleu of all things, I started reading in earnest. There is a label called “fragrances” on this blog and it holds hundreds of reviews over the past six years or so. I read them all and when I was done, I knew I wanted to do that too.

I didn’t know whether I would be able to, but I was sure I needed to try.

So I took my (then) favorite perfume – Malle’s En Passant – and started writing. And here we are.

Oh, yes – you want to know which blog that was, whose writings chanelled my own aspirations to perfume writing? It was The Non-Blonde. I have Gaia Fishler to thank for making my life a lot richer – so thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Now, I can’t wait for your stories!

This entry was posted in Monday Question and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Monday Question – How Did You Find Your Way Into Perfumeland?

1. tigrushka says:

– How did you get addicted?
    That’s hard to say, really. Probably at some point after I had started to wear perfume on a daily basis and I started at thirteen after I had got Anaïs Anaïs and Rive Gauche for Christmas.

– What drew you in?
    My mother didn’t wear perfume but many family friends did and I was also drawn to their vanity tables and in some cases, handbags. I loved the way they smelled: perfume, powder, lipstick – mixed with leather and silk.

– What is your story of falling down the rabbit hole?
    Simply smelling something and being instantly transported to somewhere else.

– How did you discover the online perfume community?
    In 2002 I was googling for info on classic Guerlains and found fragrance forums.

– Do you see yourself getting out of Perfumeland ever again?

Hi Tigrushka,
      nice to see you! 🙂
      I was inexorably drawn to my relatives (or any grown-up woman’s) vanities, bathrooms or handbags too, as a child. Such a fascinating world…
      It seems we are all in it or life.

2. Gaia is responsible for so much in my life: many, many purchases and as many hours of happiness reading her blog. She is a joy to know, and I truly hope she understands the positive impact she’s made on so many of her readers!

I was always interested in perfume, thanks to my scent-a-holic mother (I did a blog post all about this, actually!). I got my start blogging about makeup a few years ago, but I always wanted to write about perfume (especially since my perfume collection is as expansive as my collection of taupe eyeshadows!). Over the years, a few fragrance fiend blogger friends took me under their wings and sent me samples, decants, and educated me on various resources that would help expand my knowledge. I decided to just go for it, and start blogging about perfumes more – I figured my enthusiasm would make up for any holes in my knowledge. So, I vacillate between blogging about perfume and makeup/hair care now.

The interesting thing is that I have become very into niche/indie/natural fragrances, which is strange. In high school and college, I could recite almost every perfume you could find at Sephora or Saks. It’s fun to see the shift in my perspective.

My love to you! xoxoxo

Hi Joey,
      I need to look up that post about your perfume-loving mum, I seem to have missed that, it sounds very interesting, probably because I blame my perfume mania on the fact that my mother has not worn a drop of perfume in her entire life, it is just not her thing…
      Niche and indie is were true perfume lovers invariably end up, because the difference in quality and creativity in comparison to mainstream today is immense.

I’m sure Gaia influenced many of us, she is admirable, also in her dedicated and prolific style of blogging.
      Thanks for popping in Joey! xoxo 🙂

3. lady jane grey says:

I’ve got closer to parfume step by step : I remember how I fell in love with Biagotti’s Roma some 21 years ago (quite late, I was over 20 already). With sniffing more and more I got interested in theory as well, i the notes and raw materials, the perfumeurs behind the scents. My own taste got more demanding, exploring the niches (like natural parfumery, etc.). Purely accidentally I found Perfumesmellingthings on the Internet (I think it was in 2007) and then for a long time Marina’s blog was the company to my early morning tea every day – I learned a lot from her and am very thankful for that.
    Oh yes, I have fall-out periods here and there, when I’m overindulged by perfume, or trying to be less “cosume-orinted”. Or some times I’m annoyed by a too intense craving for a scent. In the meantime I rather see the art within perfumery – am looking for rare and precious things.

Looking for rare and precious things – that sounds wonderful. After the period of more, more, more, this is were we all end up hopefully.
      Thanks for sharing your story, Lady Jane.

I remember stumbling upon NST and Perfume POsse and going through their articles/posts for newbies.
    Ordering from The Perfumed Court.
    And the rest is history. 🙂

I also remember starting commenting first at Divina’s blog – The Fragrance Bouquet (I miss her posts).

5. vanessa says:

It was a sudden epiphany for me – a “rose to Damascus” experience if you will – one afternoon in Jan 2008. I even remember the date! I was idly googling the perfumes a friend wore (that I disliked) to see if there was something in particular they all shared that I might be averse to. The congruence of notes was startling (including several sweet florals) and I was immediately fascinated, and spent a whole week on Osmoz, printing out pyramids and filing them in Lever Arch binders according to fragrance family.

So a negative experience was the trigger for my interest, and my “researcher mentality” and love of patterns and categories quickly swung into gear and took it much further. Before long I was ordering samples off Ebay, and had also discovered Now Smell This, Boisdejasmin, The Scented Salamander, The Perfume Posse and PST. I found Basenotes about 9 months later and was active on there for a year or two before starting my own blog. I made a few friends via NST and others on BN, and my late blooming love of scent has also led to quite a lot of real life encounters as you know! : – ) I hope there will be more of these to come…

6. Alexandra says:

I was looking for something lovely to do with my Mum for her birthday in January this year when a friend recommended visiting Les Senteurs. I booked an hours appointment with James Craven and spent the most fascinating morning I remember in a long time; a completely charming man and a beautiful shop full of perfumes I never even knew existed. After 2 hours Mum bought JHAG Lady Vengeance and I came away with FM Lipstick Rose and a determination to find out more about perfume. I was interested, but what finally sent me sprawling down the rabbit hole was when a package arrived at my door the following week – Mum had sent me a copy of ‘The Perfume Guide’ as a thank you, I devoured it, who knew perfume could be talked about in such a way? This inevitably lead to Google and the discovery of Now Smell This which is where my internet perfume adventures began. I am lucky enough to live in central London and have access to so many wonderful perfumes, but as a beginner I also found this incredibly over-whelming. I tried so many (probably too many) in the first couple of months and now only 10 months later I find I react completely differently to things I loved/hated at the beginning (although I have adored violets and amber since the beginning and I can’t imagine this changing). I am notoriously bad at sticking with hobbies, I tend to fling myself into a subject, read everything I can get my hands on and then a year later I lose interest (knitting, costume jewelry, Egyptology). Well I haven’t quite hit my perfume year milestone, but I don’t foresee it happening this time. While I may not have given perfume much thought before I have always worn something (starting with TBS Dewberry), so I now have a hobby that I indulge in every morning, sometimes in the evening and more often than not at bedtime too. Perfume completes an outfit, it can lift the spirits, cuddle you, protect you and enhance you. So while the wild frenzy of the last year will hopefully wane a little (my purse is saying a little prayer), I can not see myself ever leaving.

Oh I wrote an essay – sorry!

What a lovely story! Les Senteurs is such a great store (and a veritable flytrap, my friend who lives in London was infected with Perfumania there too). You are lucky to live in London…

I didn’t know you fell through the rabbit-hole thanks to a lucky win and The Non-Blonde, how interesting. Love reading everyone’s stories.

I just love that Alice in Wonderland falling-down-the-rabbit-hole analogy. It really is like suddenly stumbling upon a whole new universe you never knew existed. Someone also said discovering NST is like Perfumistas finding the Mothership!

My discovery was a lot less interesting yours. I was very into aromatherapy at the time and wanted to find a perfume that was like carnation oil. I didn’t find it but I did find a lot of lovely people discussing perfume brands I’d never heard of – Serge who??! Wanting to learn about all these perfumes/houses that I knew nothing about is what drew me in. I’m so grateful to have finally found an interest that I really love and allows me to connect with such great people from all over the world. Thanks Google!

8. Sandra says:

It began in Aix-en-Provence when I was 15 and my mother took my sister and me to a perfume shop. She bought herself a perfume and one for each or her daughters. I fell in love with Diva by Ungaro. It is still one of my favorites. Then when I moved to Vienna almost 17 years ago, I started working in a place where I could purchase cosmetics relatively cheaply. I enjoyed it for a while but then I got tired of smelling like everyone else in the office. So I started looking at more niche perfumes at first at Naegele & Strubel and then on to Le Parfum. Once I started that there was no turning back. My first blog that I stumbled upon was NST when I was looking up reviews and the world opened up in a new way for me. Now that I stay at home it is still nice for me to have a different perfume and I really enjoy my mornings or evenings reading the various blogs. Thank you for your daily posts!

So perfume has been an early love for you…

We are lucky to have Le Parfum in Vienna, before that it was like the Perfume – Sahara.

Thank you for reading every day and commenting, Sandra! xo

9. andrea says:

I remember finding my way in to perfume land, I stumbled across the Serge Lutens line in Harvey Nichols last year, I had always loved fragrance and had a large mainstream collection at that point but I had started serching for something a bit different as I did not want to smell the same as eveyone else, I bought my first ‘niche’ perfume that day then found my way into perfume land not long afterwards by searching for review on the fragrance I had just bought, that was where I found your blog and subscribed immediately.

I remain a loyal subscriber and look forward to your blogs every day, I now subscribe to several other blogs sites but as they say your first is always the most special, you have introduced me to brands I had not even heard of but I have enjoyed my olfactory experiences as well as opening my mind to try things despite thinking I would not like them. (Ambre Russe I am looking at you)

I have also enjoyed finding I am not alone in my quest to find the most perfect for me fragrance and to know that within perfume land I am normal for my interest in perfume and for now owning a rather large full bottle collection as well as countless samples (my children both thought I was mad when I dug out my list of perfumes I would like to smell / own, the response was, and I quote, ‘who does that?’)

Will I ever leave perfume land, never!!, I have recently experienced olfactory fatigue but I have also seen that this is entirely normal and expect full service to resume very shortly, of course this fatigue does not stop me reading your blogs and about perfume in general, just a fatigue of not finding what I am looking for (does it even exist?)

Andrea, I’m so honored that I had a role in your descent down the rabbit hole. I really enjoy our conversations! And to answer your children’s question: we all here do that! 😀

10. civava says:

I’ve bumped into this hard with listing of blogs in our free City Magazine. So I started with Now smell this. But my love for perfume has history and that started serious with getting my first job. I collected all miniatures from Goia. At times of Duty Free Shops getting perfume cheaper was worth a trip to the border so my collection started mainly there after Duty Free Shops were closed, I had to persuade myself to buy only one perfume per year or mostly two and never untested. But somehow I managed to test most of commercial perfumes in our store just to keep along with novelties. After discovering NST and niche perfume lines and shops to buy testers my world of perfume became a roller coaster. All started with reading blogs and the peak was visiting perfume fair in Milan. At that moment I thought to stop all that or I’ll get bankrupt ordering samples. I had to convince myself I’ll never be able to try everything I read about and with all that releases of perfumes per year it is crazy thing really to even think of being able to do that. So I stepped back for a while to think about this and decide how to go on with that and not to spend whole day on the internet reading blogs, neglecting my family and spend all the money on samples and bottles of which I won’t be able to use them all in few lives. Thanks to blogs I now can decide what is important and what can be left beside. I regret only, that I won’t be able to try all vintage masterpieces not available anymore or reinterpreted beyond recognition and masterpieces out of production. World of fragrances with hilarious number of releases per year makes me sometimes so depressive I want to turn around and forget about it all and stay with what I have. But deep down inside I know this is the way without return from the very beginning.

I hear you, Civava! I feel very similarly, very often. The frenzy of sample buying in the beginning and the feeling it is all too much, but knowing that getting away from it all just won’t happen. But the beauty of perfume and the wonderful community is getting to me time and again. 🙂

Mine started in 2005, when I wanted to purchase a bottle of Guerlain Jicky parfum, which at the time was hard to find, even on the Internet. That’s when I stumbled upon Patty White’s amazing post on Guerlain Jicky at the Perfume Posse — it was a post that related the perfume to real life, and when I read it, I knew that’s what I wanted to do (write in a way that connects perfume to my inner most self). But I should back up and say that before I really knew I wanted to do that, I discovered Marina’s blog and it very quickly became my favorite. Through reading her blog, Marina educated me about perfume and her style was just so elegant. To me, she will always be a goddess — and you, Birgit, remind me so much of her (in so many ways), though you clearly have a style of your own. I absolutely adore you and your blog. Though I don’t always comment, your blog is the first blog I read everyday.

Oh, Suzanne, you don’t know how much that means to me! Thank you for being so kind and supportive! Marina is a great woman, and she and I hit it off from the start, so I am incredibly flattered that you say I remind you of her. Isn’t reading everyone’s story today amazing? I love it!

12. Sugandaraja says:

My interest started gradually, starting with an interest in resins and incenses in my teens, followed by an interest in essential oils, followed by a brief dalliance with natural perfumery, then joining Basenotes. Really, with Basenotes I became obsessed, and it became my defining hobby. I can’t imagine losing interest in perfumery, though I occasionally go through spells of not wearing anything for a few weeks.

While many folks have fond memories of scents of their youth and family, I can’t say I do. I really didn’t like any of my mother’s perfumes, nor my dad’s aftershave. One of my mother’s perfumes I disliked so much I emptied it out in the kitty box, naively hoping in my six-year-old way that my mother wouldn’t notice and would just wear something else. ( It was Estee, for those curious. )

I came to perfumery kind of backwards, having always loved scented plants, and then becoming familiar with a lot of natural ingredients that went into them, and only then loving perfume. Funnily enough, these days I’m really not that fond of most all-naturals I smell!

I loved reading everyone’s comments today! Warm-fuzzy feelings barely scratch the surface of the depth of affection I feel for the members of our little tribe (community is a good word, but the way we hunt and gather… Lol!), and I’m just so happy to be here.

Like so many of you, I’ve had a long relationship with smell, and with perfume, though there wasn’t an emotional connection, or true love of fragrance, until just a few years ago. Because before the “epiphany” of This is What Fragrance Can Be, my selections were made in whatever was least offensive!

It started with a rose so beautiful that I had to learn more: which lead to researching rose perfumes, which lead to Now Smell This, and the whole crew of bloggers linked on NST. Then it was LuckyScent and eBay…. Stella, Sa Majeste la Rose, Montale Aoud Queen Roses… And tons of samples later, I realized that there were many, many perfumes to love, and no such thing as s single, perfect fragrance to fulfill all my demands. I already had a blog going, but it didn’t become focused until later… as I always say to my husband, writing about a thing helps me to *think* about that thing, and writing about the experience of perfume has helped me get to know it better.

The scents drew me in, the tribe keeps me coming back 🙂

14. James Dennard says:

How did you get addicted?
    I have enjoyed the smells of nature since I was very young: the garden where we grew most of the vegetables I ate as I grew up, the honeysuckle that bloomed on the edge of the woods behind my childhood home, and of course grass and dirt- the smells every boy loves 🙂 Scents have always held an interest for me so my fragrance hobby is probably an extension of that.

What drew you in?
    I gradually became aware of the perfume my mom used to wear before her asthma progressed to the point that she had to stop. Then my best friend since high school started wearing Polo. These were two fragrances that were my introduction to the hobby.

What is your story of falling down the rabbit hole?
    When I came to the age that I had to start shaving (and before I was able to grow my beard) I became aware of aftershaves such as Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, etc. Then later on my friend introduced me to Polo, which I wore for a long time. A few years later I was introduced to Geoffrey Beene’s Grey Flannel. This is when I started looking around online researching fragrances.

How did you discover the online perfume community?
    I found and joined basenotes. This was the rabbit hole. My wardrobe quickly multiplied and right now I own around thirty bottles.

Do you see yourself getting out of Perfumeland ever again?
    Every so often, I feel the need to take a break and not wear fragrances for a few days. This is probably due to some olfactory fatigue and/or the fact that I have inherited some of my mom’s breathing problems. But I think I will always enjoy researching wearing and discussing fragrances to whatever extent I am able.

Thank you for adding your story, Jim. Basenotes is a great place. I think we all go through phases of retreat, but ultimately, I believe we are in for life. 🙂

15. anotherperfumeblog says:

This is a great question, Birgit! Everyone’s responses are so fascinating, and I agree with Dee it is reminder of how much I appreciate the online perfume community.

I think I always had the potential to become perfume obsessed, because I loved cataloging smells, but what really kicked it off was a shopping trip in September of 2008 (like Vanessa, I remember this date!). I found a shop near where I lived at the time (a small town) which carried a limited number of niche lines, and I spent a couple of days in there talking to the owner and pretty much smelling everything. She recommended Perfumes: The Guide. I bought it, read every review, highlighted all the ones I wanted to smell and the big names, and started ordering them from The Perfumed Court. Then I started reading all the reviews and blogs and books I could find. NST and The Non-Blonde were two of the first I found as well. But I kept this habit very hidden from everyone. I felt (and still feel) that some people may not understand and may think it is frivolous. I didn’t even get involved in the online perfume community (in terms of commenting often, etc.) until I started my blog, and I didn’t tell my husband about my blog for several months after I had started it. I always kept my samples stowed away, so I don’t think he realized how big a hobby it was until recently! I still have only shared my interest in perfume with a few close friends. Thank goodness for all of you!

• vanessa says:

Funny that our interest started so suddenly, and in the same year! I forgot the role of Perfumes The Guide. As well as ticking off every scent I tried in the book, I performed all sorts of calculations about the perfumes I liked and what proportion of them fell in LT/TS’s various star categories – I suppose to see whether I had broadly “good taste”, back in those early impressionable days (that were only 3 years ago!).

I am the same! I don’t make my hobby/obsession/love of my life public to the people I know in real life. Aside from a few who understand and appreciate it, I too fear that many would think it shallow – which couldn’t be farther from the truth. I just think, it is not my job to convince them, if they want to know more, they can read… I second the “Thank God for all of you!” 🙂

16. masha7 says:

No idea, really, it started so long ago and far away…. Well, half my family’s Amish, so it sure didn’t come from that side. The other side is Southern Creole, definitely that side. Southern ladies sure love that perfume, my gran would never leave the house without smelling heavenly! In fact, I’m quite sure she’d rather have been spotted naked than perfume-free! 😉

Now I can’t help but imagine stories about how a Southern Creole Belle seduced a young, upstanding Amish man. Their love story must have been beautiful, dramatic, maybe even tragic, but it obviously bore fruit. 🙂 Hats off to your Granny!

17. Marie says:

I think there is no one in my family who is really interested in perfume and most of them don’t even wear perfume – neither my mom nor my elder sister or my aunts.
    So for the most time of my life I thought of perfume as the standard mainstream fragrances you can get and smell everywhere. Boring, too sweet and artificial fragrances.

However there was a smell that I liked a lot when there were (young) women passing by. I wondered what they wore for years (no joke) but was so ignorant of perfume that I suggested they were having a good deodorant… silly me, I know, but I was still very young 😉

This year I stumbled upon a perfume thread in a (non-perfume related) forum and some members wrote about their favorite scents. I was on vacation and went to the next (mainstream) perfume shop out of curiosity only to get in touch with the classic Chanels and Guerlains for the first time. The next two weeks were my “falling down the rabbit hole” time: I explored other perfume shops and found blogs like yours that introduced me to niche perfumes.

Since then I can’t stop reading blogs like NST, Perfume Smellin’ Things etc. I’m still a newbie but it is so much fun to discover perfumeland 🙂

For those curious: I found the perfume I haunted for years in Flower by Kenzo. It’s odd because I am not a fan of fragrances that are too sweet and powdery. I think it doesn’t even suit my personality and after sniffing niche perfumes it has lost its “glory status”. Although it is still special to me.

It is so satisfying to finally identify a scent! So even if you moved on, because your horizon has broadened, Flower will always be important and that is great! I am glad I could help a little with reeling you in. 😉

18. Great question, Birgit! After reading Ines’ post for freshly annointed perfumistas, it seemed like a lot of us started with NST (mothership- lol). I was also very curious how each of us started and so I am glad you asked that question- It was fun reading the responses.

I was always ‘smell obsessed’ , but I fell in love with perfume when I was 15 or so when ‘interacting’ with a box of mini Diors that my uncle had bought for us.. However, my perfume ‘addiction’ began with discovering the wonderful online perfume community in 2005/2006. I bought by first perfume as an adult in 2005. But I wasn’t convinced that I had found the best there was.. So I started my online research, discovered Osmoz, NST (around 2006) , basenotes. And then MUA, Perfumesmellinthings, Perfume Posse and Bois de Jasmin. I ordered samples from Patty’s online store (fragrant fripperies, it was called then) based on Robin’s choices, then discovered I had more perfume loves in common with Marina and started commenting there. There were few MUA swaps and winning Caron samples on Perfume Posse- and I was hooked!!
    Almost as a parallel process, I read Mandy’s Essence and Alchemy, bought a bunch of essential oils and absolutes and started experimenting with blending. I even started a personal blog of sorts to record my scent experiments..:D (All that was eventually put on hold)

I discovered the newer blogs like your’s, dee’s, Mals and Carrie’s only this year. And it happened quite randomly. I was at the scent bar (the storefront of luckyscent)and chatting with Rachel and a few other customers, and she mentioned that there was going to be an event with Katie Puckrick. And I was like Katie who? And this girl who was sniffing with me said that she loved Katie Puckrick and read a lot of her stuff and she mentioned a few more perfume blogs. And I was like, “I usually hang out at Perfume Posse, Bois de Jasmin, NST”. She seemed less familiar with these. And I realized maybe I was waay out of the loop. So I went home, googled Katie Puckrick and found a whole set of new fragrance bloggers. And that is how dear Birgit, I found your lovely blog (though i might have found your blog after reading your reviews at PST..not sure..:)).

I am so grateful for all of you- I feel like I have multiple ‘secret’ identities(ok- that makes me sound creepy..lol. I promise I am not..:))- One of them is that of a perfume lover/addict- and I am so glad to have all of you to share that love with. It makes me less restless each time I make a beautiful scent discovery..:).

Oh My God! This is the longest comment ever!! oops!

I love the longest comment ever! 🙂
      The secret identity, I like that, we all have them and the internet made it possible to indulge them, and that is a truly great thing.
      Thank you for sharing your story, Lavanya!

19. This thread and all of the comments have proved to be a great read!

I sort of fell down the rabbit hole by accident, I was just a young boy of 15/16 slightly obsessed with Vivienne Westwood and Alexander McQueen. I discovered Alexander McQueen’s first fragrance, Kingdom and was shocked that perfume could smell so interesting. I was only used to the typical ‘boy’ smells made my Paul Smith and Calvin Klein.

My obsession with Kingdom grew and I wanted to know everything about it, and what others thought about. Searching for reviews online led me to Basenotes, which then led me to blogs such as Now Smell This and The Scented Salamander.

The most fruitful thing I’ve gained a long the way is not my love of perfume (which has positively blossomed) but the friends and connections I’ve made along the way, thanks to them (yourself included) I’ve learned so much and my hobby is made all the more enjoyable 😀

I think our Evil Scent Twin-ship can be traced to its roots now, your first perfume love was Kingdom, my first niche perfume was En Passant – there you go, I rest my case. 😉

I absolutely agree with you that the friendships that developed though this hobby, are the most valueable aspect!

20. Maureen says:

I fell down the rabbit hole around January this year…I am a newbie. I had always liked perfume, and my late husband always bought me fragrance for Christmas, usually Chanel. I am most familiar with that line, and like everything except maybe Chance, Coco being my favorite. He passed away in 2004, and the last fragrance he bought me was Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. I finished it in January, and was looking to replace it with something similar, but less expensive, so I googled that question, and the first thing that popped up was a review on Bois de Jasmin, so I clicked on that, and then read every one of her reviews, then started using her links to other fragrance blogs. I made one of my first comments on Perfume Posse, and won samples picked out by Patty. I had never even heard of Tauer, but she sent me Zeta (lovely), and a few others. I liked most, loved one (Roma Imperiale) and there was only one I did not like, and I threw it out, and then retrieved it from the trash to maybe try at another time. I haven’t yet, but will soon, and maybe I will get it this time( Anat Friz???) I am sampling everything and anything I can right now, looking forward to trying new things. I am still a Chanel girl, I think I always will be, but it sure is fun here in Perfume Wonderland!

21. Dremybluz says:

I have been drawn to fragrances since i was a small child. My mother always had a collection of bottles on her dresser, and my dad would always buy her a large crystal bottle of Sortilege perfume every year for Xmas. Needless to say that was her signature scent and i will always remember my childhood whenever I smell that wonderful fragrance. I would save up my Xmas and birthday money so I could go to our largest department store and buy a new bottle of cologne. Over the years, fragrance land has been my expensive hobby, but 3 years ago i happened upon The Perfume Possee and the panoramas of perfumeland put me in awe of all that was out there to learn. I doubt I will ever leave this magical land because each day would not be complete without some kind of fragrance.

So true, Dremybluz, a day is not complete without perfume. That is probably why most of us have one way tickets into Perfumeland and plan on staying forever. 🙂

22. Bellatrix says:

2008. I think. Mania. Few on-line portals with lot of chats, swaps and sales and bang. Forever lost. 🙂