Last Week In Perfume Land – Weekend Link Love

Big news – we rented small house with a huge garden in the middle of a meadow.

We longed for a place where the boys could just roam free and do their boy’s things, a place away from the city, but not so far as for it to be a drag going there every weekend.

Our little house on the prairie is one hour’s drive from Vienna and our neighbors are six good-natured cows. This weekend we are going to furnish the house and make it habitable and comfortable.

I am so looking forward to the fact that the boys can run to their hearts content and get to know nature outside of a park. I’ll have to deal with spiders quietly though. 😉

Before I go, let us take a look at the past week in Perfumeland:

You all probably heard about the unelegant (and that is putting it quite elegantly!) way that Dawn Spencer Hurwitz was treated by the NPG. I think it became pretty clear, pretty fast on whose side most people are. I wrote to Dawn privately, but wanted to show you some public statements that reflect my own point of view as well:

Tarleisio on Scentless Sensibilities and Carrie on Eyeliner on a Cat posted very good articles on their blogs, and so did Jen of This Blog Really Stinks… take a look.

On  the more perfume-oriented side of things, Tommy, The Candy Perfume Boy wrote about his favorite 80ies perfumes and sparked a lively discussion.

Dee on Beauty on the Outside found her travel scent, and she did it unsniffed – a testament to the thrill of buying unsniffed.

Another Perfume Blog is getting married soon and what is she going to wear? Try your luck and vote your favorite from her shortlist and get entered in a draw!

Lucy of Indieperfumes reviews an interesting DSH collection – Secrets of Egypt. I love Dawn’s inspiring collections, I am still smitten with the Italian Splendor Collection (see my reviews here.)

My newest obsession right now is By Kilian, I have been wearing his perfumes all week, exclusively, that is quite a feat. This week I took another look at the previously shunned Back to Black, more reviews of the line are coming up soon.

What are you obsessed with right now?

What are your weekend plans?

I’d love to hear from you! Enjoy your day!

Image is my own.
Advertisements

This entry was posted in Weekend Link Love and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Last Week In Perfume Land – Weekend Link Love

1. Thank you for the link love Birgit!

Your little house on the prairie looks like a gorgeous little hide away from the hustle and bustle of the city!

Have a lovely weekend 😀

2. Oh, Kilian’s Sweet Redemption is so good, I must prevent myself from yelling out expletives. 🙂 It’s simple, but just so comforting. Even better is Mona di Orio’s Vanille, I must have some.

Thank you for linking to my blog, dearest Bee!

3. Liam says:

Is there anything better than a house in a meadow? 🙂 Get up for day break and sit with a big mug of tea, enjoy that blissful stillness.

Well, in theory what you are saying sounds perfect, but since we have been getting up at daybreak without fail, for the past four and a half years, it has lost its charm somewhat. 😉 We’ll enjoy the stillness at night though.

4. jedennard says:

I know you are going to enjoy your house in the country. Congratulations! And I know that your sons will love the space to run. That is exciting!

This is the last weekend for a while that I have no plans, so I am enjoying some leisure time. I watched a local Little League baseball team play (They won :). I hope you and your family have fun fixing up the house just the way you want it.

5. Georgy says:

Finally a new house to be decorated…..your dream of the versace bathroom comes true…….but what would be your bubolic scent???

M is already busy installing the golden appliances and laying the mosaic floor… 😉 My scent for life as a discerning cow’s neighbor? Hmmm, I have to think about the perfect one, but I am open for suggestions!

6. annemariec says:

That does look lovely. I hope your boys enjoy rolling down that grassy knoll. Lots of grass stains for you to wash!

I’m glad you got what you wanted. Will you be going there in winter as well?

Nothing too exciting for me this weekend, just some home stuff. If not to count making some samples.

We can go as long as there is not too much snow, having a car made for off road is helping, we have to go up a steep hill without a road, there are not even ruts yet. 🙂

Your cottage looks just perfect B, you will all have some wonderful times ahead there and your boys will benefit no-end. Plus, how lovely for you and Mr O to have a retreat from the city, your own little haven. Bliss!

I went to Buckingham Palace yesterday, mainly to keep my Mum company as she looked at Kate’s dress but I must say the State Rooms were spectacular and I highly recommend it next time you come to London (soon I hope!).

Still obsessed by Sweet Redemption, of course!

Next time I go to London, let’s do that together! Please! 🙂 I love the Royals!

The house is really lovely, a lot more spacious than it looks and the garden is awesome. I’m happy!

9. masha7 says:

Love the house! Don’t worry about the spiders, we had ones as big as tea saucers in our house, but they were very gentle, we just trapped them and relocated them into our garden, where they ate the nasty bugs. We became quite fond of our spiders….
    Ayala wrote a wonderful article about the grey areas of the natural vs. synthetic debate in her Smelly Blog. I highly recommend it. What is synthetic and what is natural, it’s really more of a continuum, there’s no clear line separating the two.

• masha7 says:

PS: As a former arachnophobe, I have a helpful tip. When you see a spider, name it! So instead of screaming, you can say, “Hello, Bob, what are you doing in my kitchen??” Then you can relocate Bob to the garden…this method worked so well for me that I ended up keeping a pet tarantula in high school, her name was Fluffy.

Thank you for the tip, Marla. I will look up the Smelly Blog article!

I am very much afraid of spiders, your palm-sized ones make me sweat even when thinking about them. We only have small ones there, but plenty. You can’t imagine how many times I have screeched today, I am a total wuss! 😉

• masha7 says:

Just give them cute names, kiddo, and you’ll be fine! 🙂

• masha7 says:

My worst spider moment was in a mangrove swamp in Florida, in a canoe. A huge swell pushed me into a channel off the map; I looked up, and there were at least 300 huge, striped, hairy spiders all over the boat, the mangroves above my head; at least 10 were on me! I don’t think I’ve ever screamed so loudly, my friends still joke about it, aren’t they sweet?? But there were too many to name and re-locate!!

10. lady jane grey says:

Is it to the north – east – west – south from Vienna ? (I mean the house)
    I was on the FM4 Frequency fest. since Thurasday…

It is in the vicinity of the Frequency actually. 🙂 How was it? Did you have a good time?

• lady jane grey says:

Oh, I’m afraid, I’m getting a bit too old for that. We have friends living within walking distance to the festival area, and so every year we’re trying hard to feel young for these 3 days… However, right now a cloud of Keiko Mecheri’s Mulholland can make me feel young as well – with much less effort and inconvenience…

I wish you lots of fun with the house – it looks awesome!

11. IsabelleMi says:

Congratulations! I wish you and your family wonderful weekends 🙂 What a lovely place for your sons to play and enjoy the nature, too!

I was a bit late to the Dawn discussion but also wrote privately just to express my support. She is such a loving, open and kind person who really doesn’t deserve such treatment but I’m sorry to say it’s usually people like her that get the worst treatment.
    This weekend I’m trying to get my mind back into the usual work routine as tomorrow my life after vacation starts again.
    Am I ever going to have a vacation that lasts long enough for me to feel bored with it…?

The first day back is always hard! I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow. I still have to entertain my older boy at home for one more week, please let it go by quickly!!! I long for my routine back! 🙂 I guess that answers your question, as soon as you have kids, you long to go back to work. 🙂

13. anotherperfumeblog says:

I’m so glad you got your house. It’s adorable! Hopefully your family will have many good times there on the weekends. As for me, I am just doing a bit of work this weekend, although I did take time out today for lunch with a friend, al fresco! The weather is gorgeous. Looking forward to vacation (and wedding) in a week. Thanks for the link!

14. Eva S says:

The house looks lovely! Only have Sunday of this weekend myself so not doing much except resting today, and working my way through my Ormonde Jayne sample set. I love both OJ Woman and Tolu so far!

Congratulations on finding a little house on the prairie where your boys can run free! It looks lovely.

Not much exciting going on for me this Sunday. Just finishing up some yard work and wearing Ambre Fetiche today. It’s glorious in any kind of weather!

16. Alice C says:

Your house looks lovely! Congratulations!

We are getting ready for the second week of school here! My daughter just finished her first week as a teacher (10th grade English), and my son finished his first week in 9th grade!

It is too hot to go outside to do anything–we are still having days with temperatures over 100 degrees here. 😦

Hi Alice! Good to hear from you! We still have school vacation until September, nine weeks is way to long! I only think that now, though. As a child it was heaven! 🙂

I LOVE your little house on the prairie! What a wonderful place for the boys to frolic, and for you and Mr. O to relax away from the big city. I am so pleased for you!!!!

Also, thank you for the link 😉

xxo

Thank you! It was pure luck we found it, and then we didn’t think long and just took it. It is so great being able to just let the boys run free, without having to police their every move. 🙂

18. Lucy says:

What an absolutely idyllic place — and best wishes for your happiness there. Thank you for the link/mention. DSH has a great sense of the history of perfume. She is such a lovely person, so well grounded, and one of the most fascinating perfumers around.
    Yes this whole blowup has been just awful, it’s caused a lot of distress to good people and I am really taken aback and dismayed.

Thanks for your well-wishes, Lucy!

The DSH debacle was very shocking for me as well, I crave harmony, and such upheavals make me very unhappy. Dawn is a wonderful person and an extremely gifted perfumer, she did not deserve this. I hope things can be resolved in the best possible manner for everone involved.

19. JoanElaine says:

What a cozy corner you have found! The boys will have a blast with all that room to run.

I’ve been on vacation most of the week, but we’re back to work tomorrow. Today was a laid-back day for me – did a couple loads of laundry, did some research, made guacamole (which we put on cheeseburgers YUM).

Have a great week!