Variatio Delectat – A Visit At L’Artisan Parfumeur

I love many L’Artisan perfumes, there are a few reviews to be found here, but the wonderful visit to the L’Artisan boutique in London’s Covent Garden, elevated my appreciation for the brand to something bordering infatuation. That is due not in a small way, to Marketing Assistant Florian Pedemanaud, who met me and my friend E. at the boutique and charmingly talked us through the entire, extensive range. Florian and his infectious enthusiasm for perfume were simply delightful to be around.

We were shown into the basement of the beautiful boutique, were all the fragrances were lined up, to be smelled in a unique way – gauze in a pretty porcelain cup is saturated with the perfume, which makes it a breeze to experience the whole, extensive range without experiencing olfactory fatigue.

I revisited old favorites (Vanille Absoluement, Bois Farine, L’Eau d’Ambre, Mure et Musc, Premier Figuier and Safran Troublant) experienced new additions (Coeur de Vetiver Sacre, Traversee du Bosphore) and fell for some previous rejects (Mechant Loup, Poivre Piquant, Fou d’Absinthe) Especially interesting were Fleur de Liane and – wait for it! – Al Oudh, which I need to aquire samples of asap. Tastes grow, what can I say? 😉

All the while Florian was providing background information about the fragrances, the perfumers and the house itself.
By the way, fans of La Haie Fleurie, a Jean-Claude Ellena creation from his pre-minimalist period, is about to be discontinued, so if you like it, snap it up before it is gone!

There will be a body range introduced this year for two scents, La Chasse aux Papillons and Premier Figuier, like they did last year for Mure et Musc.

The home scents range is also very interesting, that may be a post for PST sometime in the future.
I especially loved the Amber Balls, if money were no object, I would get a few in different sizes (five sizes are available), they look and feel just as great as they smell.

The most interesting part came in the end. Florian talked about the new collection of perfumes to be introduced in June.

Called Mon Numero, this launch comprises eight perfumes created by Bertrand Duchaufour. They will be available only in special markets, a concept similar to Le Labo’s city exclusives. Each number is destined for one market. It is a good thing, that the L’Artisan boutiques will carry all eight scents though. Mon Numero is a limited edition as well as limited distribution collection.

Since this collection is authored by Bertand Duchaufour, who captured my heart with creations like my beloved Frapin 1697 or Penhaligon’s Amaranthine as well as many L’Artisan perfumes, I am more than interested, even if this eclectic way of distribution somewhat annoys me. I hate having to chase after a perfume that I like, but I can see that this also adds a certain allure and the thrill of the hunt, of course. That is probably what the company banks on.

So, do you want to know how they smell?
I had the good fortune to try five of the eight perfumes and after testing and gathering my thoughts about them, I will write about my impressions over the coming week(s). So be sure to check back!

Thank you again, Florian for sharing your expertise and being so utterly charming and generous in the process. 🙂

Florian told me many facts that I have not reported here, so if you want to know anything in particular, just ask me in the comments, if I know it, I will answer or relay the question to Florian.

Image source: amber ball from l’artsaparfumeur.com, all other photos are mine, thank you E. for taking them.

This entry was posted in L'Artisan Parfumeur, Ramblings, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Variatio Delectat – A Visit At L’Artisan Parfumeur

1. Sandra says:

Oh how delightful! I have been eagerly awaiting the Mon Numero series. Do you know if the line will be available online?

2. Suhayl ibn khaleel says:

I must confess I have taken quite a liking for your blogs, articles and letters.

Giving the reader the sense of living out what you experienced is much appreciated!

Many Thanks

Suhayl

3. RH says:

This is a cheeky thing to say but- you’re gorgeous and have the most beautiful skin! Also loving your scarf 🙂 VERY curious about the Mon Numero series- I was a bit cranky about the exclusive idea and wanted to wave it away from my mind, but I’ll be all ears (or rather, eyes in this case…) to hear about what they smell like.

4. karin says:

What a wonderful way to experience the L’Artisan scents! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Looking forward to your reviews on the Mon Numero collection! 🙂

Wow, you must have been in seventh heaven, especially getting to try 5 of the new scents by Bertrand D. How exciting! The guaze/cup idea is very clever and how nice to be personally talked through the line with an expert. Very interested to hear you even appreciated some of the scents more than you had. Oh and count me in for a whole set of those Amber Balls if I win the lottery 🙂

Many thanks for all the info and can’t wait to hear your initial impressions of the Mon Numero range. BTW you are so photogenic! I too would love to hear about your skin-care regime one day.

If I win the lottery I will send you a set of Amber Balls first thing!
      I loved the cups, no headache, no fatigue, but still a great representation of the scent, way better than on paper, it is genius!
      Thank you for the compliment! 🙂

6. Marla says:

Those amber balls are gorgeous and I would have bought 3, one of each size, except I didn’t know how they would work in the tropics. Anyone tried one who lives around the equator? I know they must be fabulous in Europe in winter, and they’re gorgeous to look at and hold. Now spill the beans about the Mon Numeros! 😉

7. vanessa says:

I am also very struck by your bonny skin… : – )

What a great way to sample the line! I was interested to read that you “fell for some previous rejects” – that has happened to me with some of the more offbeat L’Artisan perfumes, notably Timbuktu and Dzing! I think I could also be coming round to Poivre Piquant.

Those amber balls are a bit wacky – have heard good things about them.

Nice to find out where Florian got to – I lost track of him since he left Les Senteurs. Then the chap who did the synesthetic workshop I attended was at L’Artisan before he joined Le Labo, while another ex-Les Senteurs SA has just popped up at Grossmith. Niche perfume sales & marketing would appear to be a small world… : – )

Lol, thank you, my bonny lass! 😉
      Dzing! always makes me laugh out loud when I smell it. It is genius, but I cannot imagine wearing it!

Florian is such a lovely guy, isn’t he? After Les Senteurs he was at Frederic Malle before he went to work for L’Artisan.

8. Georgy says:

….and Florian looks very cute as well….

9. JoanElaine says:

What a great experience. Looks like you got the inside scoop! You look lovely in the photos, so comfortable, like those fragrances are your creation and you are sharing then with Florian!

So, you are going to give Al Oudh a try? You are a champion, willing to try another oud fragrance! I hope you like it. I love Al Oudh. It’s the one L’Artisan fragrance that works for me!

Birgit, you remind me of a young Grace Kelly in those photos. You are quite luminous and look so happy! I’m thinking those Mon Numero fragrances must have really charmed you (along with, what did you say…? Al Oudh!!!). 😉

Hey, guess what? You and some of your temptresses-in-crime (Dee Howe, Victoria at EauMG and, if I’m recalling correctly, Jen), through your ravings about Ambre Fetiche, led me to purchase a decant. In fact, I went on an amber spree and bought decants of Absolue Pour Le Soir and Frapin 1697 too! Oh my goodness…you’re so right about 1697 and Ambre Fetiche! Amazingly good! (Actually, I love all three.) 🙂

11. Pingback: Duchaufour By The Numbers – A Sneek Peak At L’Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numero | Olfactoria's Travels

12. Persolaise says:

Florian is just great… and I have a sneaky suspicion that I was upstairs in the boutique whilst you were downstairs… which would just be too freaky for words!

And yes, I love Al Oudh too!

I feel almost as if I was there with you—thank you for taking us along on your adventure! This line sounds fun, especially number 10…

Yay for spices!

You are so beautiful! I hope it’s not too shallow of me because I liked your blog first 🙂

15. Pingback: Happy Easter! Last Week In Perfumeland – Weekend Link Love | Olfactoria's Travels

16. Pingback: Three Figs – Review: L’Artisan Prémier Figuier, Diptyque Philosykos And Parfumerie Générale N°16 Jardins de Kerylos | Olfactoria's Travels

17. Pingback: A Little Something For The Eye – A Sneak Peek Into My Perfume Closet Part V | Olfactoria's Travels