Monday Question: Do You Sometimes Find Forgotten Treasures In Your Collection?

Chances are, when you have more than, say, three bottles, that you tend to forget some perfumes in your collection in the frenzy to try and buy new ones. It is lovely to discover something in your perfume closet that you forgot you even had or that you just didn’t think of for a while.

Is there a perfume you recently re-discovered and fell for again?

Do you know what is in your collection at all times or are there hidden surprises? (Those of you with spreadsheets need not answer. ;) )

What is your forgotten treasure?

question-mark

I recently discovered a small bottle at the back of my perfume closet that I didn’t think of in a long while. Since I found it though, I have been wearing it constantly and I love it very much once again. Réglisse Noire by 1000 Flowers is a tender beauty, a very delicate gourmand that fits my current fragrant needs to a t.

I am dangerously close to finishing my 15ml bottle and when I do, I’ll be sure to buy a replacement and I vow to always put it in the front of my perfume cabinet from now on. :)

Have you ever re-discovered an old fragrant love?

This entry was posted in Monday Question and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Monday Question: Do You Sometimes Find Forgotten Treasures In Your Collection?

1. Not “forgotten” per se, but sometimes I treasure some of my bottles a little too well and neglect to use them for their intended purpose :) Si Lolita Eau de Minuit is, I find, still a gently peppery oriental for the quiet hours like no other. And the state of my sample drawer is even worse — I’m ashamed to say really don’t know half the things in there… This was a necessary reminder to dig deeper and get testing!

2. Cheri H. says:

I found a bottle of Ormonde Jayne Ta’if perfume from a few years ago. I got it as part of a bottle split. How I forgot this, I don’t know!
    I also located a box of a travel sampler from The Different Company (Iris, Rose, and Bergamote). I’ve been craving florals so these rediscoveries have been great.
    Reglisse Noire is a nice one. In fact, I should dig out my bottle… :)

You didn’t say anything about database owners ;) But even without it I remember all of my bottles and decants bigger than 5 ml. And most samples – though those are rather in the passive vocabulary: if you ask me, I’ll knowthat I have it but won’t be able to name them all. But even with perfumes about existance of which I didn’t forget from time to time after applying one of them I catch myself thinking: wow! I didn’t remember how much I liked it!

I was thinking of you of course when I mentioned spreadsheets. ;)
      It does not surprise me that you have your stuff in order. When I reorganize something I always ask myself what would Undina do! Seriously, you are a role model!

There are too many bottles there, and my “parfum warehouse” is not optimal, plus last year I had a periode when I bought some decants too – so yes, there are definitely some scents I completely neglected simply because I forgot about them… I need a major re-organisation !

5. poodle says:

I know what most of my bottles are although some may slip my mind from time to time. I’m pretty good at remembering my samples since I don’t have as many as a lot of people do. Plus, I do rummage through them rather often to make sure I know what I have on hand. Sometimes I do ignore certain bottles for a time but I’m trying to be better about using what I have this year. Every week I am trying to put one or two of my lesser used scents into the rotation for the week. Some I wonder why I stopped using it, others I wonder why the heck I bought it to begin with.

6. Alexandra says:

Hands up as a spreadsheet owner, but this year I have remembered quite how much I like Caron’s Parfum Sacre (my bottle has been lurking at the back for too long).

7. Alice says:

I remember all of mine (and keep a list). But sometimes I do ‘rediscover’ perfumes. Ormonde Woman was banned to the back of the cupboard not long after I first bought it (several years ago), as I found it really difficult to wear – but this winter I dug out those travel sprays and have fallen in love! It’s been my ‘work’ perfume and seen me through bad weather and a lot of stressful days, with Ambre de Merveilles or Feminite de Bois to sooth me when I get home.. Focussing on just 3 for so many weeks is a record for me!

8. Ahh yes, all the time in fact! I very often find myself pulling something out of the purgatory drawer that I completely forgot I had.

The most recent instance was with a bottle of Green Irish Tweed that I completely forgot about. Perhaps that was a deliberate move seeing as it’s CREED, but I’ve been enjoying it over the last week or so.

B, my collection isn’t too, too big but I tend to forget about Cuir de Lancome for most of the year until the autumn mists roll in. It’s a revelation every time I remember to come back to it. I must have lots of forgotten decants so I’ll put going through those on the To Do list. Thanks for the nudge.

Enjoy your Reglisse Noire.

10. Sandra says:

Oh this happens to me too! I was going through a drawer a couple of months ago and discovered that I still have a small bottle of Jo Malone Sweet Milk. Yay! So yummy.

11. ringthing says:

Yes! My bottle collection isn’t too enormous but I have a slew of decants, and samples are everywhere, with no tabulation at all but my memory, ha! Recently I dug out a bottle of Theo Fennell Scent that I forgot about and it’s wonderful in the cold weather we’re having, exquisite, actually. I think last time I wore it the rose was a bit sour, but that has vanished. I also have read several places about En Voyage Zelda, thinking it sounds marvelous, and a couple weeks ago I discovered that I have a sample of it and no recollection where the sample came from. No matter, it is so good and it will be my next bottle purchase. This time of year, when it’s been cold and snowy seemingly forever (especially this year!) I crave change so I find myself rummaging through the perfume cabinet, digging out wild nail polish colors and quelling the impulse to do something drastic to my hair – perfume is definitely the safest change ;)

12. fruwinther says:

I recently rediscovered Frederic Malle’s Carnal Flower, and noticed how excellent it is in cold weather. A good thing it’s getting some love again, since I am the lucky owner of 75 ml or thereabouts. Ormonde Jayne Fragipani is also back in circulation after having “relaxed” in the back of the cupboard for a while, Feel so HAPPY whenever I wear it, and it lasts forever on my skin.
    (I used to comment as hildegunn earlier, so I’m not new)

13. There are several bottles that had belonged to my mother that have lingered in the back of the closet. I tried her Mahora the other day, and the scent is a remembered one. I’m not so sure that it is
    for me, but it does bring back good memories. She also wore Coco and that bottle I have used up and will replace it.

14. Every now and then I go through my collection and I always admire most of it. They all bring up some special memories. I’m also amazed about the quality of the perfumes in the early nineties. I almost forgot I have Birmane from Van Cleef & Arpels. It is one beautiful, easy to wear oriental. I have just few drops left. I loved to wear it and I still do.

15. Kristina says:

So happy you asked this because this literally happened to me this weekend! I was getting ready and accidently dropped my earring on the floor. When I reached down to grab it, I noticed a perfume bottle somewhat hiding under my dresser. I pulled it out and it was my Scent of Peace bottle from Bond No 9 I purchased years ago, which I actually thought I lost at a friends house. It’s my favorite fragrance so I was ecstatic to find my lost and forgotten treasure!

I don’t keep written records of where my perfumes are (including decants and samples), but I have a surprisingly good recall of what I have – and which box, bag or plastic bin it’s in. When my friend Sharon recently requested any samples by bold guy (Bvlgari, Siri!) I went to about 5 different places and whipped out the lot. So I probably don’t ever stumble across a forgotten treasure thanks to a sort of photographic memory or something. It would be nice though…;)

I’ve re-discovered Coromandel recently. I did know I had it but it was somewhere in the back of my mind. :)
    But I don’t know if there is something I have I forgot about – there probably is but as I’ve forgotten I had it, I can’t tell you what it is. ;)

18. Figuier says:

I don’t have enough bottles to actually forget that I own them, but I do regularly neglect certain perfumes and forget how much I like them, only to rediscover them later on. Thinking through my ‘brain catalogue’ I realise there are some scents I haven’t worn in ages – Fracas parfum and Mon Parfum Cheri – both of which are great in cold weather. Must work them into my perfume routine again – thanks for the nudge!

19. Eva S says:

Like Figuier I don’t actually forget wich perfumes I own or have samples of, but often something goes unused for quite a while until something reminds me. Just lately I got out my neglected sample of Cuir Ottoman when I recalled how much I liked it, and actually ordered a FB (one of the last 50 ml bottles in Europe I would think, in the nick of time!).

20. Alyssa says:

I’ve actually re-discovered a fragrance in my collection. Although my collection is rather small, I’ve been wearing Dolce and Gabana Light Blue everyday for the past year. But the other day I wanted to spice things up so I put on Central Park by Bond No 9. Now that’s all I’ve been wearing and obsessing over! I’ve realized forgetting about old perfumes is actually amazing because it’s almost as if I just bought a new one!