Vintage Paradise – A Few Treasures For My Closet

Despite my one bottle a month rule, I could not withstand the temptation I unsuspectingly ran into last week. A perfume store in Vienna, one I had passed by and somehow not seen hundreds of times, turned out to be an Aladin’s cave of treasures. A nearly complete line up of Guerlain’s from the 1980s, numerous other vintage and hard to find fragrances. I almost had to sit down inside, my little heart was beating so hard.

Here were perfumes I had never seen with my very own eyes. Parure extrait and Eau de Parfum, Liu Parfum de Toilette, Guet-Apens even…

But without further ado, here are the ones that went home with me. I’m a lucky and a happy girl indeed.

Shalimar Extrait de Parfum

Shalimar has been a long-time favorite and I have been looking for an older extrait for a while.

And here comes Vol de Nuit:

Vol de Nuit Extrait de Parfum

Look out for two separate reviews of Vol de Nuit EdT and the extrait (by Tara) scheduled for next week.

Shiseido’s Feminité de Bois has been transferred into the Serge Lutens line, but in a reformulated version and in Eau de Parfum concentration only.

I always longed for the original version of Feminité de Bois, finding the parfum version was a dream come true.

Family Photo

And here is the whole happy family together.

Have you recently had a lucky find?

What would you like to find out there?

This entry was posted in Collection Photos, Guerlain, Serge Lutens and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Vintage Paradise – A Few Treasures For My Closet

Wow… I didn’t think anything like that was still possible. You story remind me a dream. You know, those in which you find somewhere one great thing after another – only to wake up and realize it was just a dream.
    I’m very happy for you. Congratulations!

I don’t know what I’d like to find in my Dream Vintage Shop… The only perfume I dream about is a real vintage Climat by Lancome. Everything else would depend on my mood. I could probably buy even Shalimar even though I do not like it (yet?).

2. Philipp says:

In my hometown there is an old perfume shop called Parfumerie Ferrari which still stocks a lot of the great fragrances of the 80s and 90s. I go there whenever I want an older formulation of a popular fragrance or a discontinued one. The shop is rather small, but is packed with scented treasures by Balmain, Lanvin, Chanel, Gucci, Hermes, Kenzo, Van Cleef etc. I hope they never go of of business.

3. lady jane grey says:

Now I’m really curious where is that shop?!

4. andreawilko says:

My lucky find was a bottle of la femme bleue. I have to say I have not had any interest in vintage perfumes as I know nothing about them but after your little find it has left me wanting and looking for the feminite de bois.

5. Marie in Denmark says:

Congratulations on your beautiful purchases!

Unfortunately, there are few – if any – independent perfumeries left in Denmark. So slim chances of finding anything unexpected anywhere. Things are very predictable in that way – how boring. I remember the last perfumerie in the city I live. I bought my first high end lipstick – Estee Lauder “Ginger something or other”. The owner probably has some of the good stuff – but she closed her store probably more than twenty years ago.

My dream is to find pre-reformulation Miss Dior! Preferably huge, unopened bottle :-D

How I loved that fragrance in my late teens and throughout my twenties. The current version is worthless. I have it and I moan and mourn everytime I see it. Can’t decide whether to simply throw it out and finally realize that the past Miss Dior is no longer or keep it – and torture myself.

• Philipp says:

It is rather sad that so many independent perfumeries were forced out of business by the large chains. This is one of the reasons why I don’t like shopping at Douglas or Sephora.

Thank you, Marie!

I will keep my eyes peeled for Miss Dior for you!

• Qwendy says:

If you live in the US ebay used to have lots of good pre-reform Miss Dior …. I bought a 100ml spray for almost nothing ….. I live in France so ebay blocks me from seeing Diors in the US site but i trust they are still there :-)

6. Georgy says:

Pls tell us where this little treasure shop is! I would love to find the original valentino there, the one with the polkadotted package and the golden top, or even megara by le gallion, which both are discontinued, I think……

I was hoping you might post about your finds this weekend! I was dying to read about it and you didn’t disappoint. I love that family photo! While pre-reformulation Vol de Nuit extrait is close to my heart I’m really happy for you finding your Shiseido’s Feminité de Bois parfum. Very exciting. Only a mad person would stick to a one bottle a month rule in that situation!

I’d like to find Guerlain’s Parure, Sous le Vent and Vega and Shiseido’s Nombre Noir. None of which I’ve tried but I’m sure I’d love!

8. Irina says:

Congrats for the lucky find

9. chris says:

When the Roja Dove’s Haute Parfumerie 5th floor Harrods first opened in 2004, i purchased a 1000ml flacon of Creed’s Tabarome(NOW KNOWN AS VINTAGE TABAROME) for £300.Just before xmas in 2011, i sold this flacon for £2000. This was easily my luckiest find.

Wow! That is certainly a good profit! Do you miss your Tabarome now?

• chris says:

i do miss it, but i know that it has gone to a good home . For me it has got to be the best scent Creed ever produced. It was one of those stuffy, elegant, old world scents that Creed used to have a reputation for. There is nothing like it on the market today. Creed reintroduced it as a LTD EDT in 2010, in a clear flacon. With the Oak Moss restrictions in place, it just was not the same. Shame.

10. flittersniffer says:

Beyond fabulous! Not an April fool, folks, in case anyone can’t believe their eyes. Was there more stuff you plan to go back for, or did you buy everything you fancied in one go?

The shop in Ruedesheim I found last December, stocked to the gunnels with miniatures from various eras was my most recent discovery like that. What I would like to find is of course Plus Que Jamais (sorry, discontinued Guerlain bore alert!)

What size was this place? Any did you get any photos? Though if you are planning a second swoop, you may understandably wish to keep its identity under wraps!

11. If I wasn’t so damn jealous, I’d be happy for you.
    Naah, I am happy for you. YUMMY!
    Portia xx

12. Nana says:

Wow, what a find!!!
    Would love to find Jicky and l’heure Bleue in extrait and for my mom, mystère de Rochas.
    I have friends coming to Vienna on 9 or 10th April, please could you share the address and contact details? I could ask them to get me my April stock :-)

Thanks indeed..,

13. Asali says:

Congrats on your wonderful purchases dear Birgit! A once in a live time, I’m sure :-D

Paradise indeed! What an unbelievably thrilling discovery! I dream of finding such a shop, and restocking my vintage L’Heure Bleue EDT, of securing a lifetime supply of vintage Opium Parfum (and even EDT, or EDP, for that matter), of Bellodgia Parfum, Guet Apens, Jicky, ad of course, who doesn’t need more Shalimar??? ;)

I share in your delight! I hope that you will make it back to snatch up any other treasures on your hit list!

15. Tarleisio says:

I think I’d happily kill for vintage Jicky, Vol de Nuit and Sous le Vent. (especially Sous le Vent) And vintage Dioressence. FdB extrait!!!!! Wow. I’d swoon, too! I can certainly understand why you did! :)

16. Nina says:

Just got a vintage bottle of Arpege extrait, and a bottle of vintage Givenchy L’Interdit parfum. Been going way over the perfume budget lately! Regret not bidding on a full vintage bottle of Rallet No. 1 parfum (in Baccarrat) from the 30s!

17. sujaan212 says:

I will also add to the list of vintage Jicky and Vol de Nuit wishers. I’m so happy for you finding your amazing treasures, so fun!

18. Dionne says:

What an absolutely thrilling find! I’m so happy for you, Birgit, especially that FdB in parfum. Hooray! I’ve not gotten into the vintage fragrances at all, but I certainly wouldn’t turn down Après l’Ondée in parfum concentration.

19. Alnysie says:

Wow, what a find! You must be pretty excited indeed!

My story isn’t as big, but I’d been looking for pre-reformulation Caron Violette Précieuse ever since I first sniffed the vial I won in a draw last fall. (Ebay seems to block all fragrances from my view, I guess because of my Canadian IP address? So I didn’t have anywhere to turn to find it.) It became this big, unattainable goal and I thought I’d always long for it. And then at Ari’s charity sale in February, there it appeared! A full bottle, with the box! I just got it on Friday and it’s exactly the scent. That was a really lucky find. I know the reformulation is quite recent, but still, in my head I tought I’d never find it.

I’m expecting vintage scents from an ongoing swap and am a little worried I’ll be lemming them all…

What a lucky find indeed! Congratulations, Alnysie!

You should be able to see all ebay listings, but you probably have to change your settings to worldwide.

Birgit, you’re going to have everyone wanting to go to Vienna now! Those are some amazing finds, and that bottle of Feminite du Bois is a work of art. Congratulations!!

21. cj says:

I only got bitten by the perfume bug a few months ago, and have even more recently entered the world of vintage fragrances. I’m totally hooked. My first was an 80′s mini of Mitsouko, and most recently a gorgeous boxed trio of vintage Balenciaga (Le Dix, Quadrille, and Fleeting Moment). They arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and I haven’t yet had the guts to snip the cords to open the stoppers because they are so pristine! I dream about lucky finds such as yours. It’s been ebay only for me so far, but I’m eager to start treasure hunting in the unassuming perfume shops and antique stores around my city.

Hi cj,
      those are great finds! Ebay is a blessing (most of the time! ;) )
      But being able to see for yourself is a whole other experience, I was incredibly lucky!

22. Warum says:

Wow!
    Swoon.
    Did you have a chance to smell in the shop or because these perfumes are one of a kind now one has to rely on one’s knowledge?
    For me, the list of vintages I’d love to SNIFF would be much longer than the list of vintages I’d BUY, especially BLIND BUY! But I would probably get the same ones you got. And I did not have a recent mega-vintage find, sniff sniff…

23. Sandra says:

wow! what a find! please let me know where this shop is.

24. Eva S says:

Oh my, I hardly dare ask, did they have vintage Mitsouko as well?? I would have liked to try them all, I have been curious about Parure especially.
    My latest find was my blind buy of a FB of Cuir de Lacome- I found it online for a song! It really is lovely, I’m glad I fell for the temptation after Taras review. I’m almost tempted to buy a back-up bottle since it’s apparantly discontinued…

No Misouko as far as I remember, but it is not on top of my wishlist, and I was a bit (okay, a lot) overwhelmed.
      I adore Cuir de Lancome too! A perfect scent!!!

25. ana says:

oh i nearly fainted!! you’re so lucky indeed!i might just move to Vienna! there’s no hope ever for such a find in the neck of woods that is dublin!

26. May says:

Wow! What a treasure!
    May I ask for the name and the address if that shop? my next trip to vienna is coming up after easter… :-)

27. Both the pure perfume and the bottle for Féminité du Bois are splendid. I think they’ve been discontinued – disappointing.

Yes, they are discontinued (only the EdP, reformulatd togh, survived in the Serge Lutens canon).
      Splendid is a great word for that bottle! :)

• I could name of a few of SL’s perfumes to discontinue! But definitely not Féminité du Bois is a terribly well balanced out scent that’s distinctive and sort of BO-oriented. and reformulated… I can’t believe it

28. Civava says:

Excelent find. I would also buy these three. The bottle of Feminite du Bois is beautiful. I like this version more than the current SL.

29. We can only share your joy, dear Birgit!
    We have one or two treasure caves. In our favorite one, we found vintage Chamade, Shalimar, L’Heure Bleue, Dioressence, Diorling, Diorella, Cabochard, Caleche and First extraits.
    We would love to find more vintage L’Heure Bleue.
    We also know of a place that has some old Lubin stuff, but it is closed most of the time.

30. Tatiana says:

I’m so happy for you. The closest I’ve come is scoring Mitsouko EdT in the same boxes you’re displaying now. The shop keeper also had extrait and EdP in the newer boxes, but I really wanted the older formulation so I settled for the EdT.
    My dream would be to find vintage Mitsouko in extrait, Vol de Nuit in any form, Feminite du Bois, Chanel No.19, Diorella and Diorling. Maybe then I would stop amassing perfume. On second thought, maybe not.

31. Wonderful fragrances there! The Shalimar is especially impressive to me.

32. Joey says:

I just sobbed from pure jealousy! How lucky you are!! =)

33. kassinator says:

I have always wondered, what is the difference between the two feminite du bois perfumes? I will pop over and read your other review and see if that answers my question, but I was under the understanding that they were the same fragrance carried over to serge’s line.

Kassandra

It is the same fragrance, but it has been reformulated due to IFRA regulations. The older Shiseido formula is richer and has more depth. New newer one is more transparent and seems a bit attenuated.

34. snobbycactus says:

Hi Birgit,

May I ask you about the name and the address of this shop. I am so envious to your findings there! I am in Wien for just 2 days and maybe I will have a chance there… (I am looking for some vintage versions of Guerlains..)

Thanks and best regards,
    Cactus (your anonymous constant reader)

35. Qwendy says:

I have been sniffing around for FdB tidbits and found this fab post …. Congratulations! As a new FdB lover i will have to content myself with a newer, but not brand new, bottle. I do crave your gorgeous bottle and its contents!