Mona Di Orio Died

I just saw the unbelievable news that the great perfumer Mona di Orio has suddenly passed away today.
I am deeply shocked and the right words fail me at the moment.
Still, I feel the need to talk about this incredible tragedy, and share my grief and shock with you, my readers and fellow fans of her work.

Mona’s perfumes have impressed me immensely this year and I feel honored that Mona reacted so favorably to my reviews and we exchanged several emails, where she impressed me as a genuinely lovely person, who is highly talented, educated and intelligent.

Apart from the personal loss of all those who knew her, her all to too early death leaves an incredible hole in Perfumeland, that cannot be closed ever again.

Mona leaves a fragrant legacy that will console us all, her olfactory imprint on our souls is thankfully indelible.

This entry was posted in Mona di Orio, Ramblings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Mona Di Orio Died

1. I am so sad to hear this, and extremely shocked. Do you know if she was ill? I really feel like this was a major year for her work, and I was really looking forward to what she did next. Thank you for sharing this tragic news, Birgit.

No, I don’t know what happened. It is incredibly sad, such a beautiful and talented person with so much potential. Thank you for sharing those shocked minutes with me, Carrie!

Oh my. I can’t even think what to say, except to say that I share your shock and sense of tragedy. She was a uniquely talented perfumer, and her compositions always struck me as fiercely intelligent and complex creations, utterly her own. They will be her legacy.

3. andrea says:

How very sad, I was just starting to try her perfumes after your reviews. It is a tragic loss to the perfume world.

4. Asali says:

What dreadful news, I am shocked. I love many of Mona’s fragrances and hope her perfumed legacy will live on. Condolences to all her family and friends. She will be much missed, she was a truly unique and wonderful perfumer.

5. masha7 says:

I was very shocked, and now I’m just sad. She was young, and I feel had just come into the prime of her artistry! Her latest collection was her best. I’ve been ill, so I’d put off reviewing her glorious Oud until I felt well enought to do it justice. Now it will be an “In Memoriam” piece, and I’m just so sad.

6. Joe A. says:

I’m in incredible shock this morning. Mona has been one of my favorite perfumers since I first discovered her Jabu a few years back; since then I’ve discovered a few others, though I still haven’t tried the whole line. In addition, she’s very close to my age. This is yet another reminder that we are not here forever, and can be gone at any time. Very, very sad news. I grieve with all of you.

That’s what got to me too. She is our age, it can be over any day, no warning. It is a wake-up call to truly seize the day… Thank you for sharing your perspective, Joe.

7. Lavanya says:

I was very shocked to read the news and sad. She was so young! :( I am wearing her Oud as a small tribute to her. She seemed so lovely and interesting in her interviews.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it on twitter. I’m still having a hard time believing it. I don’t think it’s sad, I believe it’s tragic. Such talent and such a lovely person, I don’t want it to be true. She was too young and there was so much life and inspiration before her.
    I wonder what happened…

9. IsabelleMi says:

I am shocked and sad to hear this. Such a wonderful lady and perfumer. I grieve her with all of you, too.

10. I’m completely shocked. This is the first I heard of the news. I don’t know what to say.

11. Paula Day says:

Sad and shocking news. Her website is down. I would really like to know what happened.

I echo the condolences to her family and all who knew her and that includes you dear, B. It must have been terribly shocking for you after getting to know her a little via email. She did come across as an incredibly vibrant, talented yet down-to-earth lady. Such a tragedy and a great loss.

A tiny consolation is the fact that her latest collection was so widely loved by the perfume/blogging community and I’m sure that made her very happy.

Tara, you are so right. I’m sure her success with the new collection was a source of great happiness to her.
      It is inconceivable that her life was so dramatically cut short…

Any death is a tragedy for those who are close. But some deaths touch even wider circles of people – which is the case here. I’m very sad. I was looking forward to many more great creations by Mona di Orio.
    RIP

14. Sally- Anne says:

hello ,Birgit. How old was Mona? The pics I’ve seen reflect a youngish woman.May she RIP. T o her close friends and closest family ,who would be devastated,I wish and pray they can bond together and remember her very apparant ‘efference’.

15. This is such awful and shocking news. It is sad to think that such a talented, beautiful and from all accounts, wonderful woman has died so young.

My thoughts are with her family and friends.

16. Tara C says:

It appears she died during or shortly after a surgical procedure… only 42 years old. This was such a great year for her – a tragic loss.

17. HoneyDawn says:

I enjoy your blog very much and learn a great deal from it. I was shocked and saddened by reading of this young lady’s sudden passing. What a pity! My deepest sympathy to her family, friends, and coworkers. A true loss of such a vibrant and creative spirit. She certainly added beauty to the world in her lifetime and, for that, we should all be grateful.

18. drseid says:

I was totally shocked and extremely saddened to hear the news earlier today. I still don’t think it has fully sunk in. She was having a blockbuster year with her Les Nombres d’Or line, a couple (Vanille and Vetyver) are in my top ten with the rest super-strong as well. Just a true tragedy on so many levels. She will definitely live on in her brilliant creations we love so much.

19. Kathy says:

Just this week I was looking at my fragrances and told myself I should order a back up bottle of Mona’s Musc since it is my COMFORT scent. It is so sad that such a young gifted perfumer who spoke of having so many more fragrances to create yet, should be lost in her very prime. So very shocked and so very sad.

Musc is wonderful, it is very comforting to me too.
      We can be thankful that she left so many amazing perfumes, although I can’t believe she will never create anything again…

20. Joey says:

Such a shock. Mona was so incredibly talented and full of life, and I had looked forward to trying her fragrances. The perfume community lost a great today. I’m sending my well-wishes to her family, and I hope that when we all wear her scents that we remember the creative force behind them.

21. It’s so sad when someone passes at such a young age, but especially someone as obviously talented as Mona. I have not tried any of her creations yet, nor did I have any personal correspondence, but my heart goes out to her loved ones.

22. civava says:

This is really shocking news. I couldn’t believe it. Such a tragic lost for the perfume world and especially for her family.

23. angie Cox says:

Tears are rolling down my face , so very sorry .

24. Julie says:

Birgit,
    This news truly shocked and saddened our perfume community. My condolences go out to her family and friends. I was re-reading her biography on her website, and they mentioned that she died after back surgery. Something must have really gone wrong because anesthesia is much safer these days (my dad is an anesthesiologist). Her business partner will continue her work but we have lost her beautiful spirit.

25. Jeannemarie says:

The news of Mona’s death was shocking to me and saddened me greatly. Such a creative artist and interesting woman. I cried when I read that as a young girl, she had saved up for her first real fragrance purchase–Guerlain’s L’Heure Bleue. That touched something in me. I would like to purchase at least one or two of her creations in 2012. Rest in peace.

Hello Jeannemarie,
      thank you for commenting.
      I felt the same, Mona’s death was shocking and extremely saddening.
      Thankfully we have her wonderful perfumes, and I’m glad to own several, but it is still incinceivable to me that there will never be a new one…

26. Pingback: Smell With Me – Olfactoria’s Travels Turns Two! | Olfactoria's Travels