Last Week In Perfume Land – Weekend Link Love

What a week! It was extremely hot last week in Austria and while I would long for a cool, dark room in such temperatures, I went swimming with the boys, which was fun. Both are enthusiastic, little water rats.

On Friday, Vanessa of Bonkers about Perfume was in Vienna for business and we met for a lovely afternoon sniffing tour, despite the scorching heat, a great time was had by all and many samples were exchanged. Meeting a fellow Perfumista in the flesh was truly lovely, there was not one minute of awkwardness, we talked and laughed from start to finish.

On Saturday we worked on our little house on the Prairie, it is a lot of work, but I think it’ll be very cozy once it is ready. We spent the first night there yesterday.

In Perfumeland there have been lovely posts aplenty, last week, but since I am trying to put this post together on an old and tatty, borrowed netbook (Sorry, M, I am very grateful, even if it doesn’t sound like it right now!) and a tenuous at best internet connection, I have to make do with just a few choice bits and pieces this week…

Dee on Beauty on the Outside wrote about a great perfumed love of hers, Amouage Opus IV, which will help her remember her home in Oregon that she is leaving behind now.

Tommy, The Candy Perfume Boy has strange cravings, now he insists on smelling like a hooker… But I love the way he writes, he brings the scent to life on the screen and I love that, even if I can live without Gucci Rush. ;)

Last week also saw the inauguration of a new platform for bloggers and natural and/or indie perfumers. The Bloggers for Natural and Indie Perfumers Page on Facebook seems to be very well received and has over 130 members already. I am honored to have been a part in its inception and one of the six administrators, along with The Non-Blonde Gaia Fishler, Scent Hive’s Trish V., Indie-Perfumes’ Lucy Raubertas, Scentless Sensibilities’ Tarleisio aka Sheila Eggenberger and PST’s Beth  Schreibman Gering. The page should be a platform for open communication and creative collaboration between writers and perfumers, free from all organizational ties and affiliations. Please take a look, if you haven’t already.

Have a good Sunday, all! What are your plans?

This entry was posted in Weekend Link Love and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Last Week In Perfume Land – Weekend Link Love

Great to meet you – I did have a blast! I am en route for Slovenia, and generally trying to grow my fringe in record quick time, which was savaged by a hairdresser just before I left home. I asked for a little bit off, and she took about 47 years. 30 would have been nice…

Enjoy the summer house – I got stuck into your considerable consignment of Gummibears in the wee small hours when the munchies struck. : – )

Loving the Guerlain Cologne du 68 – perfect for the heat, though it has calmed down a bit today, thank goodness.

2. Birgit you are beyond lovely, thank you for the link love and your very kind words about the blog!

It sounds like your little house on the prairie is hard work but totally worth it :D

Aaah, I’m finally feeling normal today. The heat is gone and there’s some wind and generally weather is much more accommodating to any activities.
    Lucky you, you got to meet Vanessa. :)
    I hope next time she’s in this part of Europe, the road takes her a bit closer to me.

4. lady jane grey says:

Hm, trying to indetify the coffeeshop you went with Vanessa…

We were at the Tuchlauben Eissalon. (Jeannine Schiller was on the next table in all her glory!) :)

• lady jane grey says:

After reading your page I went to Vanessa’s and identified everything : the icecream parlour, plus the ageing B.B. … Awesome. I love the Tuchlauben Eissalon (nocciolone + cranberry…)

What a productive week for you, B! You had a lovely meet-up with the lovely Vanessa, helped set up what sounds like an important and interesting perfume platform AND spent your first night at your rural retreat!

Enjoy what’s left of Sunday, hope you get to have a rest :) x

I quizzed Birgit about her domestic schedule, which is pretty full-on by the sound of things – I doubt she ever gets to have much of a rest with two active boys as well as blogging and the house project! Speaking of Viennese whirls, I learnt the German for a “whirling Dervish”, which could be a good third descriptor for B (after your “benevolent” and “photogenic”). They say “dancing Dervish” apparently.

I am an extremely lazy person at heart, seriously! It is just necessity (I love my kids, but… you know) on the one hand and passion (for perfume!!!) on the other that keep me going. I look forward to going back to laziness asap (I’ll keep on blogging though ;) )

• Tara says:

Vanessa, I think dancing Dervish sums up B well, what with all that frenzied activity executed with the grace and self-discipline of a ballet dancer. B, I salute you!

7. jedennard says:

It is very hot here, as it has been for a long while. But at least I wasn’t affected by the hurricane that has hit the coast. Lots of friends of mine are dealing with large amounts of rain over the past day or two. I hope to have a lazy Sunday of reading and relaxing. Happy Sunday, Birgit!